Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

AM call backs water blinds - 2,3,5,6,8,10,12,16,19,24,26,28,33,39,40,43,44,54,5 5

Default Thanks to all.........

Wow! What an absolute and highest honor it was to have the best seat in the house for the Open; to see every dog try their best to pick up every bird utilizing their natural and trained abilities in very challenging weather conditions (rain, sleet, and mostly 25-35 mph wind) on grounds with superbly difficult land and water.

I was secondarily honored by having the awesome responsibility to be fair to each dog and each handler; and I hope my co-judge and I fulfilled that responsibility. I know we gave it our best and sincerest effort - including liberal callbacks for each series. The trial was clearly difficult and my reflections are more akin to a court reporter than a judge..... we simply recorded the testimony provided by the dogs' performance - followed by a (non-rocket science) ranking of that testimony.

I was thirdly honored and humbled by so many favorable compliments from old and new friends; regardless of whether they went out in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th series..... or placed and/or finished the trial. I know how bad it hurts to go out of a trial; and what gumption and character it takes to pay a compliment when you are hurting for yourself and your dog. One gentleman I had never met, who had just picked up on the water blind said "this is my first Open and I have had a blast". Those words will be with me for a long time.

Congratulations to all who placed, finished, or participated. Thanks to all the club members and everyone else who helped in anyway.

Most of all thanks to the dogs for a splendid weekend.... I am toasting you with a nice snifter of Courvoisier, a warm fireplace, and fond memories of your best efforts.

Bruce Loeffelholz

Last edited by Bruce L; 05-05-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    May we all grow in wisdom, grace, humility, courage, understanding, respect, experience, and knowledge

Bruce A. Loeffelholz
    Red River Retrievers
    BruceLoe97@aol.com
    (405) 613-9988
    Waterproof Field Trial and AKC Hunt Test Judges Sheets since 1987

The Amateur was a wide open triple with good birds thrown in places that produced results. There were about 8 or 9 handles or pick ups, maybe more, 8 scratches, and the other dogs dropped for having too many or too large of hunts. Thanks to the judges for donating their time this weekend and thanks to the Tulsa RC for putting on a fine trial in difficult weather conditions. Also, thanks to Joseph McAnn of Rock Erin Kennels for the use of his fabulous facilities.
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

Bruce, Having sat in the judges seat many times myself, that summation is as respectful a reply to the many trials and tribulations of judging that I've ever had the pleasure to read. Congrats on giving your best efforts and thank you for giving back to the game. Enjoy your hard earned cognac and warm fire, Eli Reichman

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Wow! What an absolute and highest honor it was to have the best seat in the house for the Open; to see every dog try their best to pick up every bird utilizing their natural and trained abilities in very challenging weather conditions (rain, sleet, and mostly 25-35 mph wind) on grounds with superbly difficult land and water.

I was secondarily honored by having the awesome responsibility to be fair to each dog and each handler; and I hope my co-judge and I fulfilled that responsibility. I know we gave it our best and sincerest effort - including liberal callbacks for each series. The trial was clearly difficult and my reflections are more akin to a court reporter than a judge..... we simply recorded the testimony provided by the dogs' performance - followed by a (non-rocket science) ranking of that testimony.

I was thirdly honored and humbled by so many favorable compliments from old and new friends; regardless of whether they went out in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th series..... or placed and/or finished the trial. I know how bad it hurts to go out of a trial; and what gumption and character it takes to pay a compliment when you are hurting for yourself and your dog. One gentleman I had never met, who had just picked up on the water blind said "this is my first Open and I have had a blast". Those words will be with me for a long time.

Congratulations to all who placed, finished, or participated. Thanks to all the club members and everyone else who helped in anyway.

Most of all thanks to the dogs for a splendid weekend.... I am toasting you with a nice snifter of Courvoisier, a warm fireplace, and fond memories of your best efforts.

Bruce Loeffelholz

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Am wateblind . dry pop on left. land entry of 100+ yards . irregular shoreline. into a small bay of water. stay right of a large brush pile & left of a tree. back into water, a little off shore, in swimming water not running to edge of duke/bird.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Am callbacks to the 4th:
    2 3 6 8 19 24 28 33 39 40
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

hmmmm, looks like ValleyView training area is well represented - good luck everybody!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers Mom View Post
    I agree....... but, when the field consists of 57 dogs (don't know if there were any scratches) and 37 of those don't make it to the second series (only 20 did), that's a 65% drop in the field in the 1st series. 57 dogs is not an exceptionally large field to have to whittle down either. The description given here of the setup sounded good and doable but maybe the terrain with the bowls and washouts was the problem so that setup was not practical here. I don't know. It is just that trials are getting increasingly more difficult and complex and it worries me that this will become a turnoff for the younger and newer players in the game who probably won't have the financial ability or desire to continually get scrubbed in the first series. Another concern that I hesitantly add is that judges judging the Open have been around awhile and know both the game and dogs well. They know a lot of the dogs strengths and weaknesses so therefore it wouldn't be too difficult to manipulate the test in the favor of certain dogs. I don't like to think that would consciously happen, but stranger things have been known to happen from time to time. I'm an idealist and I would like to think that everyone sets up their tests with all dogs in mind. I also realize that some tests occasionally have to be scrubbed because of totally unforseen difficulties with the layout in that it didn't turn out to be as doable as originally thought or there were dangerous aspects involved. I've heard these concerns voiced but people are afraid to speak up for fear their dog will not get a fair shake. I speak what concerns me and always have and to date, my dog has always gone out when he was supposed to have except possibly maybe once.

Arleen
    Arleen,

I'm sorry that the boys are being a bit tough on you. It's a really rough crowd!

Our dog ran the first series of both the Open and the Amateur and I will give you the scoop as I saw it:

I believe that the reason there were so many pick-ups was not the terrain; it was the cold temperatures and the fierce, north wind that was blowing. I saw dogs (mine included) run with the wind through birds that they would never run through on a calm, warmer day. I saw dogs break big-time that never break. Even our truck dogs were running around like banshees in the wind, not listening, full-speed ahead. Old dogs were acting like puppies and normally slow dogs were hell-bent into the wind.

Both stakes ran less than 55 dogs which is a small field in the TX/OK/LA circuit. I can attest to the fact that the judges absolutely did set up their tests with all of the dogs in mind. We have some of the best dogs in the country winter down here and every dog running is normally awesome. The motto in this area of the country is "To be the best, you have to beat the best". Everyone that signed up knew what the terrain was going to be because most have run this trial before. When you agree to judge, you judge in the terrain that the club gives you and in this area it is all the same - hills, gullys, bowls, washouts. Both the Open and Amateur judges set up excellent tests using the terrain to their best advantage because they knew how great the dogs were and how the handlers in this area love a challenge.

I also agree that if judges are going to be cheaters (and they are out there especially in the all-age stakes) they will not throw a hard, challenging test. They will throw some rinky-dink marks that their friends will do adequately and your dog will pin. Then they will throw a land blind that their friends will go way off-line on and your dog will challenge and stay on-line. Then, their friends will get called back and you will be dropped. This is what "penciling out" is. And as Eli said, it is so much more worthwhile to pick-up because your dog just did not rise to the challenge that given day, than to get "penciled out" when they did a better job than most.

Hope this gives you some insight on this trial. The Tulsa Club always does an excellent job and most always picks knowledgeable, fair judges. If we didn't think so, we would not have made the long drive.
    '06 National Finalist FC/AFC Tiger's Goodness Gracious (12/31/02-7/31/09)
    Adalida's Relentless Pursuit***
    Southamptons Override***
    High Lonesome Hannah
    Catch'er If You Can
    Catcher's Double Play

There are too many people out there who think that the only thing that's right is to get by and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you donít have integrity, nothing else matters ~ Watts

Any reports about the Q?