RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

HT Waseca,MN

4K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Steve Weaver 
#1 ·
They got 18 inches of snow Wednesday 3 to 4 expected today. I can see it now, Bird launches nice high arc and the plop a foot deep stuck in the snow bank. Should be interesting. Spring has not sprung yet up here. There should be some good stories coming out of this.

#5 · (Edited)
A winter Goose Hunt don't see those very often, I'm almost jealous I know my dog will be she loves snow. I envision it differently launcher goes off, dark bird lands on a solid white frozen background, give me nothing but hens and we won't even need a wing flap ;) Great photo for a black dog as well, they practically glow against snow.

#9 ·
I don't envision launchers at all - have you ever tried using a zinger in the winter? the bands don't have the same elasticity as they do in the heat and you get a flop, plus if your dog doesn't mark real well because of a sun glare from the snow then the bird could be buried in the snow when it lands and the scent is covered well so there will be a decent hunt and combine the birds from behind the blind will make things very interesting, I hate doing long marks in the snow as it usually messes with their confidence because it is a crap shoot if they can even make it to the AOF- and for water no thanks I have let my dogs break ice during hunting but that is a quick hunt usually and my dogs already started to lose the undercoat. glad I didn't sign up but I might be there to throw marks

#10 ·
I'll be there throwing this weekend. I am also accepting $50 tips for dark birds landing on top of snow pack! :D

#15 ·
I'm running Master....Hope I can see my American Water Spaniel. He's only 18" tall.

#20 ·
AWSUE's AWS passed Master in the snow and COLD water.

#21 ·
The SMHRA crew did a great job. I believe the club could put on a test in a war zone. The Master level had zero no birds. The judges may have made some adjustments for the conditions however the test was challenging and fair. The club had no delays. My hat is off to this fine training group.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.