The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Trainig advice?

Default Trainig advice?

Let me go ahead and say this is my first time training and I have a 6 mth clm. I'm working on ob at the moment he has it down pretty good but I'm gonna go back and re teach as I did not set a very good standard ie square sit and not a very good heel. My question is what is a good time table for the commands? I know every dog learns on its own pace but just want a average time I guess like how long sit usally takes then heel, also when do I introduce collar pressure once I know the dog knows the command or after I been threw all the on leash obediance? Then my last question I'm only able to train in my yard during week days. Witch restrices my throws to about 25 to 30 yards short grass no hunt but I usally take him on the weekends to get a different location and able to throw farther will is be fine?

Here are some time lines from my puppy Rowdy. They are not what every dog should be doing but just examples of what one dog did.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ighlight=Rowdy

It sounds like you are not following a training program. That would be the first step. There are several that are discussed frequently on this sit. They are:
    Total Retriever Training 2ed by Mike Lardy
    Smartworks by Evan Graham
    Fowldogs by Rick S.

The programs are not cheap but in the long run they are very inexpensive. If you are cash strapped I would suggest you get Vol 1 of Mike Lardy's Retriever Journal articles. It is only $25 and is available from YBS media.
    You didn't define your goals.
    But I don't think two days per week of field work will be sufficient. I think four days is probably the minimum to train an accomplished hunting or test dog. But you can accomplish a lot in the yard by yourself during the week.
    Hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

I agree with Wayne in the fact that following a program will help explain everything and increase your success.

With my labs, they were both good on the leash before I started with the collar, but that was before they were six months old. As far as a timeline goes, each dog is going to be different. Not only with how fast they learn, but how fast on each concept. (Sit may take 10 minutes, where heel may take 10 days) just be consistant with training daily.

As far as training in the yard with getting to a field on weekends, I think that will still get you a good dog. If you need more distance in town, I suggest that you head to a park. That will give you distance as well as distractions of other dogs, people, other activities, etc. that will help develop focus. Also, when you do get out in the field, spend extra time out there. Work a concept and then rest a little bit and do it again so you and your dog get the value out of being in the field.

I think that the big mistake people make is training too infrequently and expecting too much from their dog too quick. Just be consistant and realistic with what you are putting into the process.

Good luck,

Mark
    Mark and Peyton's Touchdown Pass JH

Thanks for the advice I do have a training program but it just didn't go into detail on a few stuff. Like for example my dog knows the command but sometime he is a little slow like I can walk him at heel tell him to sit while in stride but he takes a couple of steps and sits real slow how do I get him to sit as soon as I say the command? I have a heelin stick and when I go to give him a tap he sits real quick as to try to beat me to it lol