The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs Afield Sur Toss Wingers

Kristie Wilder

Default Dogs Afield Sur Toss Wingers

This post is a little late, but....

Would you please share any experiences you have with Jerry Days' Sur Toss wingers? I ordered a set of three and will receive them next week when they're done making them.

I ordered them because I really like the Tangelo tosser. I like the ease of use and, even more, I like how much safer they appear to be than the average winger. I was originally planning to order Tangelos, but I wanted the ability to operate remote and shoot a primer from the winger (since I am now sending one of my six shooters back to H&R for repair for about the fourth time this year). Finally, I ordered them simply to have a consistent throw, esp on key birds where fall area is critical (down the shore bird, for example) and where short or "wrong" falls won't teach the dogs anything.

Did I make a good choice? I'm really excited to see them and I hope they're as good as Jerry has said they are. We spent a lot of time on the phone going over what I wanted and whether these fit the bill. It really seems they do. They break down completely and apparently store in a pretty small bag. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Pls share any experiences you've had. Pm if you need to. Thanks.

-Kristie

I think that you will find them to be awesome!! The release by Train-Rite is very reliable and well-built. I think you made a good choice.

kristie- I won mine at the Nat' A and I love it.... Dad has used it more than I have but I really like it!

Katie

Kristie Wilder

Today is the first day we used all three wingers in the field. We remoted one and manual launched the others (one of which is set up for remote). I must say they are GREAT. The fact that they pack flat is just incredible. They are quick and easy to set up. They are extemely easy to reload. They worked perfectly all day. The only glitch we had was that we did try them out on a down the shore cheating single using a white bumper. The throw was relatively inconsistent at one gunstation and very consistent at another. Not sure if it was the wind or not. And we very rarely use bumpers in training, but man can those things send them flying.

I am so far very very pleased with the construction, ease of use and great throw. Would highly recommend them.

-kristie

Kristie,
    Do you have to stake them down to use them?
    George Billings
    And Scout
    Aurora CO
    In Memory
    "Tess" Amigold Duckus Takem - Miss her greatly

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by GBUSMCR
    Kristie,
    Do you have to stake them down to use them?
    You don't have to, but it's only one stake (a giant nail really, with a washer welded to it). I push it in with my foot and it just holds the one leg so it doesn't move around while you load it. Very very easy to setup and use.

-Kristie

Kristie,
    Can you give us an update on your new wingers?

Got to spend this Christmas money..... (and then some).

Thanks
    Tom Dorroh

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D
    Kristie,
    Can you give us an update on your new wingers?

Got to spend this Christmas money..... (and then some).

Thanks
    So far, so good. Been using regularly in training, on just about every station. Have eliminated hand throws for the most part... They've been working very nicely. I've hardly used electronics with them, so can't speak to that regard. We've been launching them manually... But they've been super and I couldn't be happier. Setup, breakdown and storage is better than any other winger i've seen or used.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Unlike a lot of the tossers on the market, the Sur toss and Tangelo can be used to heave a flier. They throw them almost as good as I do, and make throwing and shooting by yourself a bit easier.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

How about an update, Christy. I meant to talk to you last weekend, but didn't get a chance.
    Tom Dorroh