The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mad man in the Kennel

Default Mad man in the Kennel

I have a 1 year old retriever that destroys his water pail, bucket, whatever I put in his kennel for water. I do not have a water source so a Lixit is out of the question at the moment. Does anyone know of a metal pail that would have a hook or clip at the top and bottom so that I can tie it to the fence?

Duckaholic

We used to get the metal buckets at the feed store.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_de_hunter View Post
    We used to get the metal buckets at the feed store.
    I fasten the pail with 2 or 3 double sided clips to the fence and then put concrete blocks on three sides and set the pail in the middle. That usually will keep it in place for even the most destructive dog. Also, if they are just trying to get both feet in the water to cool off I've found that just using a wider pail and using the same technique stops it along with plenty of daily exercise. I purchase mine at Tractor Supply (TSC).
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Stainless water pails from Tractor supply. Clip to side with a brass or stainless clip. I had a problem with some bucket eaters along with the growth of algae in the summer months so I bought stainless buckets and haven't had a problem since.

We went to small stock tanks from TSC. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...ck-tank-16-gal
    This is the only thing that finally provided enough water, they couldn't tip it over, chew it up and if they get hot they can stand in it!
    Denise Jepson
    Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My SH
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!

Wow, I looked at those stock tanks at TSC last night! I 'm at my wit's end because he chewed the bottom seams loose on 2 different metal buckets that I had tied to the fence at the top. I even put a brick in them to attempt to weigh them down but he just lifts them by the edge a dumps them out and plays with them. My idea is to have something on the top and the bottom that I can tie down so that he cannot tip them. I looked at the stainless buckets but they are tapered and I don't have a way to weld a tab on the bottom to tie it down. I like the big brick idea...I might go with cinder blocks or bigger bricks. I even thought of a huge crock pot ;~)

I had a dog do the same thing, get a plastic milk crate and wire or zip tie it to the kennel wire, put your buket in it, your problem is solved, I promise!

Wow, I looked at those stock tanks at TSC last night! I 'm at my wit's end because he chewed the bottom seams loose on 2 different metal buckets that I had tied to the fence at the top. I even put a brick in them to attempt to weigh them down but he just lifts them by the edge a dumps them out and plays with them. My idea is to have something on the top and the bottom that I can tie down so that he cannot tip them. I looked at the stainless buckets but they are tapered and I don't have a way to weld a tab on the bottom to tie it down. I like the big brick idea...I might go with cinder blocks or bigger bricks. I even thought of a huge crock pot ;~)

Reply Reply With Quote I did all that as well, get the milk crate and let me know how it worked, yo dont need to wite the bucket handle to the crate either, he wont be able to pull the bucket out.

Well, I thought the cinder blocks at the bottom of the bucket and clipping the handle of the bucket worked until I got home today. He pulled the handle so hard the clips came off and he ate the brass clips! Now i'm headed to the vet in the morning for xrays!!

This is driving me crazy!

E-Collar on 10 + him thinking you're gone = Problem solved. Make him think you've left, when he starts to chew on the bucket.....nick

I'm guessing he had unfettered access to chew toys as a pup. Thats typically where these problems arise.
    Bob Foster