The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blowing Off Whistle

Default Blowing Off Whistle

Looking for suggestions on how to correct this with a dog through CC, FF, T,TT, swim by, and pattern blinds. This used to not be a problem but has now became a major issue. Went back to OB for a week or so, still had issues yesterday.
    thanks

Which program are you following? How old is your dog? Is this occuring on cold blinds? Do you have any videos of him? You didn't say if you did FTP. If you did FTP that is where I would go to fix this problem.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

The training I mentioned was done professionally, including FTP. The dog is 2 1/2. After I got her back, I follow Lardys transition. I do not currently have any videos. I did return to pile work with a long check cord to help get her attention when the whistle was blown, with really no success.

What do you mean by "really no success"?. Did she stop during FTP but didn't keep it up when transitioned to blinds? Do you have an ecollar?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by ncrick40 View Post
    The training I mentioned was done professionally, including FTP. The dog is 2 1/2. After I got her back, I follow Lardys transition. I do not currently have any videos. I did return to pile work with a long check cord to help get her attention when the whistle was blown, with really no success.
    Are you using collar pressure?
    Bert Rodgers

Yes I meant the work from the pile was not transitioned into blinds. She will either still blow through, or have a very loopy sit. Yes I have been using collar pressure, I was wondering if that would be the correct way because we are not proficient on our handling at this point, so it may take several whistles to find the bird, and I feel like this is getting us in a bind in our handling skills having to burn the whistles.

I would suggest a lot of simple cold blinds. Something like this pattern, but make sure they are easyish. She'll need a lot of whistles to do all the blinds and will learn she has to take direction to get the birds. Keep your sit standard high. Do not repeat, set it, or something similar, up in another place. Do until you see the sits and casts away from suction getting better. If you get to many burns for sits simplify, widen and shorten, the next time. Do not be afraid of following your dog out once you send him. With beginning dogs, do the short blinds first, then the long ones.

Last edited by Howard N; 05-04-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

"Do not repeat, set it, or something similar, up in another place"

So you're saying set this up in one field and keep coming back to the blinds rather than another place until improvement?
    Thanks by the way. I believe something like this could help us get out of this.

Nope, set it or another easyish multiple blind setup in another place and do not do the original one ever again. I'm not saying you can't go back to that field again, just don't set up that setup again. You don't want to confuse the dog with baggage from an old burn for a poor sit on the repeat. Go somewhere else.

Mostly you want to create a lot of whistle sits in different places so she learns to sit anywhere. It's easier if the dog is closer to you rather than farther. Working withing 100 yards until she is compliant seems about right.
    Last edited by Howard N; 05-04-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I rarely if ever take issue with Howards advice. However, at the risk of being flamed, I do here.
    For a dog, as in the OP, not yet adept at running blinds,I feel it is preffereable to address slow or slipped whistle sits in the yard environment as opposed to an actual cold blind scenario. My overriding concern in teaching cold blinds is momentum and attitude. I feel its much better to firm up the sit issue in the yard setting.

When teaching cold blinds attrition works well for miscasts, over/under casting, scalloping and other errors. It doesn't work worth a crap for slipped whistles, loopy sits and the like. Repeated Collar pressure to enforce sit standards can be very detrimental on dogs momentum & attitude on cold blinds. For that reason I'd prefer to address and solidify that issue in the yard setting as opposed to the cold blind setting

I'd go back as far as neccessary{ the rope, on leash heel/sit drills etc} to instill in the dog that when I blow the whistle the dogs butt HAS to promptly hit the ground. How far back you have to go may, however give you an indication that your basics really aren't sound enough to be at the stage of running cold blinds. In my experience a dog with solid basics will benefit greatly from a couple of sessions of "sit to pile" with VERY high standards. By that I mean that the dog literally has to sit at or on the pile. Use ducks as opposed to bumpers to make it as tempting as possible for the dog to ignore your sit whistle as he approaches the pile

In this drill when you blow the whistle very close to the pile, The dog typically will assume that he has reached his destination and pick up the duck/bumper ignoring the whistle. When that happens you say "NO" walk to the dog take the bird, replace it to the pile. walk the dog back 20-30 yds and cast him back right & left & stopping him to the pile a few times. You work on this until you can get the dog to actually stop at and sit at the pile {Seat on a Duck} This gives the dog a very clear black & white picture that it is irrelevant what he thinks {He has arrived at his destination and can hit paydirt} WHEN HE HEARS THE WHISTLE HE MUST SIT PROMPTLY

Once you get this kind of compliance, my experience is that it immediately transfers to the field; so I go right back to actual cold blinds. I will usually stop the dog fairly close to me a time or two and PRAISE his good sit
    Depending on you or your reading of the dog you may feel more comfortable trying your new sit standard on a drill such as Howards or Bird Boy Blinds or whatever. However you do it make sure toinsist on, & praise him for a good sit the first few times

Once again this is a very clear black & white learning scenario for the dog. Additionally if you cant get this kind of compliance in a few short sessions I would seriously question my basics; and whether we are actually ready to be running cold blinds with this dog