The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blowing Off Whistle

Good post mark, I like the way you approach this.

I would like to see a video of the dog stopping in FTP. Videos are easy to make and post these days. Then I think we could have a better idea of the best solution.

If the dog is not stopping at all on blinds in the field (which is what I got out of the OP), then I am not sure about Howards solution either.

If the dog isn't being corrected for loopy, slow sits, blowing whistles on FTP then he won't improve by going to the field. As mjh said, sitting immediately in front of the pile is crucial. Just MHO.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Thank you for the great advise. Yesterday and today we ran the simple cold blinds. Got several corrections in, and did see an attitude change yesterday. Today went a lot better, only had one whistle in which I felt needed correction, and her attitude was back up, like I had expected. She is a high drive dog and usually always bounces back after the pressure yesterday.
    I am going to move back to the pile tomorrow and try to get a video posted.
    Thanks again

Blowing Off Whistle

Looking for suggestions on how to correct this with a dog through CC, FF, T,TT, swim by, and pattern blinds
    I assumed the dog knew how to sit on a whistle. If not then Marc is probably right and the dog needs to go back further. If not then lots of whistle sits starting out fairly close and working further out seems more appropriate for me. It's hard to give internet advice as I've never seen the dog or handler work together.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Whats in the link below, IF the dog has a good "sit" comming out of the T and TT..
    Then its up to YOU to keep the standard high with your sits on cold blinds, cause it can go away very easily if not maintained,,,

I REALLY like the information and Tips in the following link, and believe it works very well teaching the dog to HANDLE....

http://www.dannyfarmer.com/dannyfarm...20Farmer_1.pdf
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I'd do a bunch of walking sit drills, then do bb blinds, reestablish that the whistle means sit now, and then take that foundation back out to the field and use that skill in the field.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Whats in the link below, IF the dog has a good "sit" comming out of the T and TT..
    Then its up to YOU to keep the standard high with your sits on cold blinds, cause it can go away very easily if not maintained,,,

I REALLY like the information and Tips in the following link, and believe it works very well teaching the dog to HANDLE....

http://www.dannyfarmer.com/dannyfarm...20Farmer_1.pdf
    This is the best explanation of going to cold blinds out of TT instead of patterns I have seen. I'm still not 100% convinced but I understand the reasoning better.
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I rarely if ever take issue with Howards advice. However, at the risk of being flamed, I do here.
    For a dog, as in the OP, not yet adept at running blinds,I feel it is preffereable to address slow or slipped whistle sits in the yard environment as opposed to an actual cold blind scenario. My overriding concern in teaching cold blinds is momentum and attitude. I feel its much better to firm up the sit issue in the yard setting.

When teaching cold blinds attrition works well for miscasts, over/under casting, scalloping and other errors. It doesn't work worth a crap for slipped whistles, loopy sits and the like. Repeated Collar pressure to enforce sit standards can be very detrimental on dogs momentum & attitude on cold blinds. For that reason I'd prefer to address and solidify that issue in the yard setting as opposed to the cold blind setting

I'd go back as far as neccessary{ the rope, on leash heel/sit drills etc} to instill in the dog that when I blow the whistle the dogs butt HAS to promptly hit the ground. How far back you have to go may, however give you an indication that your basics really aren't sound enough to be at the stage of running cold blinds. In my experience a dog with solid basics will benefit greatly from a couple of sessions of "sit to pile" with VERY high standards. By that I mean that the dog literally has to sit at or on the pile. Use ducks as opposed to bumpers to make it as tempting as possible for the dog to ignore your sit whistle as he approaches the pile

In this drill when you blow the whistle very close to the pile, The dog typically will assume that he has reached his destination and pick up the duck/bumper ignoring the whistle. When that happens you say "NO" walk to the dog take the bird, replace it to the pile. walk the dog back 20-30 yds and cast him back right & left & stopping him to the pile a few times. You work on this until you can get the dog to actually stop at and sit at the pile {Seat on a Duck} This gives the dog a very clear black & white picture that it is irrelevant what he thinks {He has arrived at his destination and can hit paydirt} WHEN HE HEARS THE WHISTLE HE MUST SIT PROMPTLY

Once you get this kind of compliance, my experience is that it immediately transfers to the field; so I go right back to actual cold blinds. I will usually stop the dog fairly close to me a time or two and PRAISE his good sit
    Depending on you or your reading of the dog you may feel more comfortable trying your new sit standard on a drill such as Howards or Bird Boy Blinds or whatever. However you do it make sure toinsist on, & praise him for a good sit the first few times

Once again this is a very clear black & white learning scenario for the dog. Additionally if you cant get this kind of compliance in a few short sessions I would seriously question my basics; and whether we are actually ready to be running cold blinds with this dog
    Very good/helpful post, I am currently cleaning up some of the things the OP mentioned.
    HRCH Rugers Icy Blaze

http://youtu.be/KcWwfdK0NlI
    Not sure if this will work, I will check it tomorrow afternoon. And for some reason it seems on my PC the sound is off from the footage a little, or I am just sending too quickly. As you will hopefully see a couple more issues came up. For some reason she became confused on the left hand back and strangely enough a no go (geese flying over had her attention).This was after some marks as well so she was worn a little.

Edit: I guess I will have to shoot a shorter video tomorrow. I can't get this one on here. Says it is too large.
    Edit: Had a good session today, although my camera quite taping as soon i got it set up without me knowing. I will get a video posted
    Last edited by ncrick40; 05-08-2013 at 06:31 PM.

The video would not play. Edit: Now it says the video is not available.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 05-07-2013 at 05:41 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"