The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blowing Off Whistle

Ok lets try this again

I'd say that the audio is WAY ahead of the video.

If you video yourself clapping your hands three times or so, it would be possible for a person to sync the audio with the video at home. Provided their A/V equipment has the ability to adjust for lip sync.

I wish my yard looked like that grass. One thing that might help is be more assertive with the whistle. It sounded a lot like the come in tweets you gave. Just a tweet! Try TWEEEEEEET!

Big loud whistle TWEET might help. You can also stop her on the way back, and start teaching her to cast with the bumper in her mouth, might help tighten the whistle-sit. Seems like she knows where she's going and really wants to get there. If you start casting to multiple piles or put the overs to the T, getting her used to turning-casting in different directions away from the known pile the Sits, should tighten up. On the video it seems like shes almost to the pile before she ever hears the whistle, doesn't give you a lot of time to correct.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Is there a lag between the sound and action by dog? Most noticable at the "back" command there is a lag before the dog leaves. So it is hard to say if the dog is stopping promptly on the whistle or if there is a similiar lag caused by the sound and video not being in sync.

Pls clarify.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by ncrick40 View Post
    The training I mentioned was done professionally, including FTP. The dog is 2 1/2. After I got her back, I follow Lardys transition. I do not currently have any videos. I did return to pile work with a long check cord to help get her attention when the whistle was blown, with really no success.
    Have you consulted that pro since then ? or was there any follow up training given to you when they returned the dog ? How long has it been since the dog was with that pro ?

Not looking for any names, just trying to understand how the dog was "put together"...FWIW you have already gotten some solid advice on this thread
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Is there a lag between the sound and action by dog? Most noticable at the "back" command there is a lag before the dog leaves. So it is hard to say if the dog is stopping promptly on the whistle or if there is a similiar lag caused by the sound and video not being in sync.

Pls clarify.
    I don't think there is a lag in the sound. If you notice, the hand goes down about the same time he says back---in fact no delay at all. You hear the come-in whistle as the dog picks up the bumper, etc.

Assuming no lag in the sound, to my eye, the dog is not responding crisply to commands: Dog is taking it's sweet time sitting on the way to the pile, and then getting praised for the slow sit.
    Renee P

Did you get to watch the dog work when the Pro had him?

Did the dogs attitude and slow sit looksimilar?

Is this possibly just an issue of now a different handler?

When I recieved professional help with the Yard work, during pile work, and T and TT,, very few times was the dig sent from my side..
    In fact it was rarely. The dog was always sent from a front finish.

My opinionis is the dog has a slow sit becuase you allow it.. Now is the time to teach a crisp quick sit, and if the dog has has the steps required taught to him by the pro, then the collar is the way to enforce that "sit" command.

As far as the dog taking its sweet time leaving your side.

Again, did the dog do this with the Pro?
    Did the Pro FORCE the dog to a pile (FTP)?
    If so, and the dog looked crisp when the Pro ran him, I would go back and review Force to pile, and enforce the "Go" with "Back",nick "Back",from a front finish with the dog having good eye contact with you. If he wont look at you, dont fuss over it, just immediatly send.

Its also important to analyise what the collar force got you.

After a force, and you send the dog on the next back, did you see improvement on how quickly the dog took off? If so,, give a BUNCH of praise, If not, the next send use collar again, until you see and improvement that gives you a chance to praise..

So,,, If it were me,,I would go back and review FTP,, and when the dogs "Go" improves leaving your side,, I would go forward to Sit to pile, and work at getting that crisp clean sit you want..

and do most all of this review with the dog being sent from a front finish.

Just Goosers opinion..... for what its worth, from an Internet expert.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Assuming no lag in the sound, to my eye, the dog is not responding crisply to commands: Dog is taking it's sweet time sitting on the way to the pile, and then getting praised for the slow sit.
    I had just assumed the sound and the video were not synchronized. If they are in synch then when you were saying, "Good," I would have been burning. You cannot tell the dog he did a good job when he's not giving much effort. An exception to that would be if the effort improves from where it had been, just to let the dog know you noticed the improvement.

I probably would have given a heel burn on the slow start when you said, "Back," too. IMO the dog is playing you and not being a team player.

Ignore all of the above if the video and sound really are out of synch.

This is a later edit. I might have sounded like you should work on two issues at once in the above. I don't think I would. Either work on the slow goes, or the slow sit. Do not work on both of them at the same time, you risk confusing your dog, and he could be confused enough when you up the standard on him from what used to work.
    Last edited by Howard N; 05-17-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I had just assumed the sound and the video were not synchronized. If they are in synch then when you were saying, "Good," I would have been burning. You cannot tell the dog he did a good job when he's not giving much effort. An exception to that would be if the effort improves from where it had been, just to let the dog know you noticed the improvement.

I probably would have given a heel burn on the slow start when you said, "Back," too. IMO the dog is playing you and not being a team player.

Ignore all of the above if the video and sound really are out of synch.

This is a later edit. I might have sounded like you should work on two issues at once in the above. I don't think I would. Either work on the slow goes, or the slow sit. Do not work on both of them at the same time, you risk confusing your dog, and he could be confused enough when you up the standard on him from what used to work.
    I was wondering if the OP was working on too many things in the video. After dog returns there are lots of "sit" "hold" "heel" commands.

I'm not seeing a big loopy sit, just slow, so to these newby eyes it looks as if the dog does well, once he decides to sit
    Renee P