The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Natural Choice dog food

Been feeding it for about 2 months . So far so good. Coats are much better.I really like it.Also been feeding nutro puppy to my pups witch are out of a land ahoy bitch dont you need one ha ha 1

Wayne- one more recommendation for Victor. My training partner swears it's the best food he has ever fed in over 20 years.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Tom. P. View Post
    I wish I could help you Wayne.I had to go to Merricks grain free because of allergies.And its expensive also.
    A 25# bag cost me $50.
    Forgive me for paying real close attention to Your post!
    I feed the Merrick grain feed too, by choice, not because of allergies. I have found that while it is expensive, I feed less than I did with other kibble. My dog is only requiring 1 1/4 cups twice daily to maintain a healthy wait. Energy level is high and he has a beautiful coat to boot. Its a good quality feed and highly recommend it.

For those of you feeding Victor, which blend are you feeding?

They have several which one do you feed for an active dog in training?

A large portion of that cost is the actual production rather than ingredients. For example, Royal Canin guarantees against cross contamination from other protein and carbohydrate sources in their hypoallergenic line of foods. The last time I spoke to my vet products rep, she explained that a large part of the cost of those diets was related to the fact that they have to disassemble and sterilize the entire production line before they start any batch of the hypoallergenic or novel protein foods to ensure no allergens are transferred.

I can't say for certain about the Hill's products but I would imagine they have similar QC. I don't think that you always get that degree of stringency with OTC foods, but you can always try switching and see if your dog's allergies flare back up.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Ive been feeding Nutro (or Natural Choice) for about 10 months. My YLF's stomach just would not tolerate Pro Plan. This food came highly recommended and so far the results have been good, but not such a big fan of the price and smaller bags (30#).
    Looks like they have a few options in grain free - turkey/potato; lamb/potato; venison/potato
    Hope that Rowdy is doing well! Just out of curiosity, do the vets ever recommend trial challenges with the perceived allergen containing food (similar to babies/toddlers that have reactions to foods, but after 1-2 yo are reintroduced and have 0 complications)?
    Matt
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

I recommend doing this test for any dog with a suspected food allergy.

http://nutriscan.org/
    UKC CH, URO3, UMJCH, UCA Karbits TNT Rudolph Valentino CDI, RAE, JH, Amer. CD, WC, PCA WC (x2), TT, CGN, HIC

Wayne,
    If you don't think your dog needs the venison then I have found that Costco Natures Domain Grain Free Turkey & Sweet Potato or Salmon & Sweet Potato works very well for my allergic dog. 35# bag for around $30. Very reasonable price. http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Anyone have experience with Eukanuba products?

I've been feeding Nature' Recipe since my CLF was a pup. I was feeding Natural Choice when her food allergies popped up. Also reasonably priced.