RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Natural Choice dog food

6K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  Steve Thornton 
#1 ·
Has anyone used this dog food.

Rowdy has an allergy and is currently on Hills D/D Vension and Potatoes. He is doing very well on this food. But this stuff is really expensive.
I was looking at the Natural Choice brochure. They have a Grain Free Venison meal and Potato formula also. It is a little cheaper than the Hills D/D.

Does anyone have other recommendations for dog food. I don't know what he is allergic too.

The vet wanted to wait until he was a year old before testing. He is going in for his annual exam and checkup on 5/22/13. We will discuss testing. He is currently 14 mo. old.

#2 ·
Have you taken a look at Fromm dog foods, totally American, made in Wisconsin. Many different formulas, top quality with a reasonable price. One of my Labs has a itch periodically, but not food related. Staying with Fromm. Let me know what you think.
Works for my Labs, after using Pro Plan for 30 years.

#23 ·
I feed the Merrick grain feed too, by choice, not because of allergies. I have found that while it is expensive, I feed less than I did with other kibble. My dog is only requiring 1 1/4 cups twice daily to maintain a healthy wait. Energy level is high and he has a beautiful coat to boot. Its a good quality feed and highly recommend it.

#5 ·
The Hills D/D Vension and Potatos that I get at my vet is $63 for 16.7 lbs. The Natural Choice Vension and Potato is $54 for 24 lbs. at Petsmart.

#6 ·
One of my dogs has wheat and corn allergies so I understand. My dogs are thriving on Victor foods. No corn, wheat, or soy. They also have Grain-Free foods and several different protein/fat formulas. And it's made in Texas! Very affordable.

#7 ·
Wayne, my older dog is allergic to something in dry dog food, but not wet. I fed her canned and wet foods for several months, till she quit itching. THen experimented with various dry foods. Right now she seems to be doing ok on Wellness Core.

I looked at the ingredients that were in the dry food, and not the canned, and those were my suspects. Most of the dry dog foods have the same ingredients, some of them are there I think to hold the kibble together. The Wellness Core had something diffferent.

Good luck, it can be a long process.

#8 ·
The Hill's has

Potato, Potato Starch, Venison, Potato Protein, Pork Fat, Soybean Oil, Natural Flavor, ...

The Natural Choice Venison meal and potato has a lot more ingredients:

Venison Meal, Dried Potatoes, Potato Starch, Pea Protein, Split Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, ...

If you switch and dog goes downhill, then I'd suspect the peas or beets as the dog's allergens.

#10 ·
My boss feeds it and loves it. She has a Weim that has bad ears and this has worked wonders.

#11 ·
Try Annamaet Manitok (red meat), Annamaet Aqualuk (fish) or Annamaet Option (fish). The Natural Choice food you are talking about is not cheap and it is very low in protein and fat.

Annamaet is a PA-Based company that made the the first performance food. Well known in hunting and performance circles.

#12 ·
Wayne, I'm not a big fan of science diet myself, overpriced for product they have.
I don't know anything about natural choice, sorry.
Royal canin puts out an excellent hypoallergenic food according to my vet, but it is spendy. Maybe compare the two and see if they are close in ingredients.
Sorry your dog has allergies, maybe talk to your vet about seeing a veterinary dermatologist if allergies gets outta control in the future.

#14 ·
Wayne, look at the ingredients of the two. My boss had checked into it for her grandma and they are the exact same ingredients. Science Diet is just expensive junk. You wouldn't believe how many dogs we groom that are on it that have tons of problems. If we can get thru to the owners and have them change, the issues go away almost always. Science Diet is worse than Pedigree in my opinion!

#17 ·
Im going though this right now too. She is on PPP Sport. Real dry skin and going to the vet today for ear issue.
Has anyone used this dog food.

Rowdy has an allergy and is currently on Hills D/D Vension and Potatoes. He is doing very well on this food. But this stuff is really expensive.
I was looking at the Natural Choice brochure. They have a Grain Free Venison meal and Potato formula also. It is a little cheaper than the Hills D/D.

Does anyone have other recommendations for dog food. I don't know what he is allergic too.

The vet wanted to wait until he was a year old before testing. He is going in for his annual exam and checkup on 5/22/13. We will discuss testing. He is currently 14 mo. old.

#18 ·
My 13 mo old BLF has had digestive issues since day 1. After trying a few different options, Diamond lamb/rice, and what my trainer suggested, Eukanuba sensitive digestion, the vet suggested grain-free Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato only sold at Costco. In only a few days there was an amazing difference in stools and her energy-not sure that we needed more, but we got it;-) I believe it's around $45 for a 35# bag. I'm sure it won't be the trick for everyone, but it worked great for me.

#22 ·
Wayne- one more recommendation for Victor. My training partner swears it's the best food he has ever fed in over 20 years.

#25 ·
A large portion of that cost is the actual production rather than ingredients. For example, Royal Canin guarantees against cross contamination from other protein and carbohydrate sources in their hypoallergenic line of foods. The last time I spoke to my vet products rep, she explained that a large part of the cost of those diets was related to the fact that they have to disassemble and sterilize the entire production line before they start any batch of the hypoallergenic or novel protein foods to ensure no allergens are transferred.

I can't say for certain about the Hill's products but I would imagine they have similar QC. I don't think that you always get that degree of stringency with OTC foods, but you can always try switching and see if your dog's allergies flare back up.

#26 ·
Ive been feeding Nutro (or Natural Choice) for about 10 months. My YLF's stomach just would not tolerate Pro Plan. This food came highly recommended and so far the results have been good, but not such a big fan of the price and smaller bags (30#).
Looks like they have a few options in grain free - turkey/potato; lamb/potato; venison/potato
Hope that Rowdy is doing well! Just out of curiosity, do the vets ever recommend trial challenges with the perceived allergen containing food (similar to babies/toddlers that have reactions to foods, but after 1-2 yo are reintroduced and have 0 complications)?
Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.