The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Spinal meningitis and stress

Senior Member championretrievers's Avatar

Default Spinal meningitis and stress

Have a young yellow Labrador that was brought to my husband to train approximately 6 months ago. Beautiful pup with excellent pedigree and a lot of drive. He has done very well so far in training and is a happy dog in whatever he does. He is about 12 months old now and is a big fellow, probably weighing about 75-80 pounds.

He went home for a short break during Christmas and started having some muscle rigidity and some significant pain, owner rushes him to the vet and things get taken care of and he comes back to training(not sure what the diagnosis or treatment was this first time). He spends the next four months in training with no problem. He goes home again when we go to the GRAND and within a couple of days he again is exhibiting the same symptoms. Concerned, the owner, takes him to LSU, and tells them about these occurrences that have happened when he is brought home. They do some testing and say he has spinal meningitis that can be triggered by stress and put him on a longer steroid. He will be out a month and then come back to training.

Now let me explain that the owner of the dog is not trying to train the dog at home, just trying to enjoy him as a family pet and let him be a pup when he is home. Also, he is very concerned about the health of his dog. He thinks the pup just loves training and gets stressed when he is taken out of training. LSU states that after the treatment, this will probably never happen again. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a meningitis influenced or induced by stress?

Tina
    Tina Perron
    GRHRCH UH DAKOTA'S BIG MAMOU SH "BUD"
    GRHRCH BARRACUDA BROWN FROM BIG MAMOU TOWN MH "CUDA"
    GRHRCH BIG MAMOU'S RUN FOREST RUN MNR **"GUMP"
    HRCH Cuda's Scooby Doo From Big Mamou "Scooby"
    Big Mamou's I Yam What I Yam "Popeye"

are you referring to steroid responsive meningitis (sounds like it)? If so, that's an autoimmune disease, and stress is likely to cause many autoimmune diseases to flare.
    I don't think it's ever *cured* though.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Someone I know who has had a couple of episodes of what they believe were SRM thinks it might run in family lines, but we don't really know that for a fact. It does seem to be an auto-immune-related thing. It IS treatable, and it may very possibly not recur. It seems to occur in younger dogs ... as with the Lab mentioned by the OP. There is some feeling that in pets it may actually resolve on its own without treatment, and, therefore, we don't really hear much about those cases.

If that's what this young Lab is dealing with, there are probably worse things to ruin training plans. This one can likely be "fixed"

I believe that a spinal tap is the definitive diagnoses for SRM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Senior Member championretrievers's Avatar

Thanks for the info, I believe you have hit the nail on the head. I only knew what the owner had told my husband. Since your posts, I have been able to read a few articles on it because we will be giving his medications once he returns, which looks like will be a steroid from what I am reading.
    Tina Perron
    GRHRCH UH DAKOTA'S BIG MAMOU SH "BUD"
    GRHRCH BARRACUDA BROWN FROM BIG MAMOU TOWN MH "CUDA"
    GRHRCH BIG MAMOU'S RUN FOREST RUN MNR **"GUMP"
    HRCH Cuda's Scooby Doo From Big Mamou "Scooby"
    Big Mamou's I Yam What I Yam "Popeye"