The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Who was most influential in forming your political outlook?

  1. #1
    Senior Member zeus3925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Twin Cities Metro, MN
    Posts
    1,878

    Default Who was most influential in forming your political outlook?

    I guess the single most important figure in my political outlook was Edgar Wiggins Waugh, professor of political philosophy at Eastern Michigan U. and roommate of William Faulkner at U. of Mississippi. He is considered to be the principal author of the 25th Amendment. He was an unabashed progressive. I didn't want cut his classes as there were often debates between Waugh and the Birchites. Waugh always prevailed with great knowledge and humor. An impromptu debate between Waugh and Mississippi Gov.( at the time) Ross Barnett was a classic that left Barnett tongue tied in the end.

    My maternal grand parents were very active in the political trenches. They were always active in the cause for the common man. Besides raising 8 of their own children, they also provided foster parentage to 27 other children.

    I'd have to round it up with the influence of John Kennedy. While his life was cut short before he could accomplish much he was able to get the country looking at itself with pride and purpose.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 05-04-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Sarge

    I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville, Tn
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    I guess the single most important figure in my political outlook was Edgar Wiggins Waugh, professor of political philosophy at Eastern Michigan U. and roommate of William Faulkner at U. of Mississippi. He is considered to be the principal author of the 25th Amendment. He was an unabashed progressive. I didn't want cut his classes as there were often debates between Waugh and the Birchites. Waugh always prevailed with great knowledge and humor. An impromptu debate between Waugh and Mississippi Gov.( at the time) Ross Barnett was a classic that left Barnett tongue tied in the end.

    My maternal grand parents were very active in the political trenches. They were always active in the cause for the common man. Besides raising 8 of their own children, they also provided foster parentage to 27 other children.

    I'd have to round it up with the influence of John Kennedy. While his life was cut short before he could accomplish much he was able to get the country looking at itself with pride and purpose.
    The most influential in forming my political outlook? ME of course.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    The most influential in forming my political outlook? ME of course.

    You took my answer.....

    I grew up in the Republican stronghold of Orange County California, back Calif was a solid R state, I remember in high school when we were able to register to vote I actually registered as a Democrat because it was a cool thing to do, and the only thing I knew about politics was that my local Congressman Ken Cory was a Democrat and a FT friend, I also knew that Nixon was a crook and the Eagles and Linda Ronstadt supported Jerry Brown..

    As the years wore on I found myself always voting R in local and state elections..Then one year my brother Will took me to a Pete Wilson fundraiser, Will had become what we now call a "bundler", the doctors at the hospital where he was the CFO just wrote the check and he would represent their interests at the fundraiser. I got to meet Gov Wilson and that was my first foray into national politics and I liked it...I actually started paying attention to issues and then along came a guy name Rush Limbaugh ...

    I strayed one year and voted for Ross Perot, because I lost faith in GHB ability to lead the Nation, but two terms of Bill and Hillary did more to entrench me as a "Neocon"

    I still listen to Rush about once a week depending on what the national topic might be...but would rather listen to Michael Savage,Mark Levin or Laura Ingraham,Andrea Tantaros....can not stand Hannity, Tucker Carlson
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  4. #4
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,181

    Default

    My Dad!

    He taught me the values I hold true.
    Non of which match the secular progressive movement of today.
    Stan b & Elvis

  5. #5
    Senior Member roseberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    1,815

    Default

    who? Jesus!
    john mccallie

  6. #6
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    I started to realize I was more conservative/republican, when I was about college age and had my first job that paid more than minimum wage. I started looking at the witholdings and thinking about all the things I was reading in the paper. (Even back then I read the paper every morning). I felt that my money was being wasted by the government. It still is.
    One of the first local issues I remember was a local street freshly paved and striped... Looking good. About two days later the water dept. comes along and digs a trench right down the middle of it to lay new pipe! What a freaking waste of money! I'm about 19 or 20.., but I call town hall raising hell... Lot of good that did. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in govt... Nothing has changed in all these years... Just gotten worse... Shouldn't computers help?

    The neighborhood I lived in had a high percentage of Lifelong Dems. It was an awakening for me to realize the folks I grew up around were some of the ones I disagreed with the most (politically speaking). Still friends with many of them. Still related to some of them.

    First election I was really aware of the issues... Was Reagan - Carter in 1980. The election before when Carter was elected, I was old enough to vote at 18... I was just too dumb to know anything and would have voted for Carter just because he was a Southern Peanut Farmer (I'm from South Carolina after all). I ended up shooting a big buck that day and it took me all day to get it out of the woods, so I didn't get to the polls... (Teenage voter priorities)
    Last edited by huntinman; 05-05-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    Bill Davis

  7. #7
    Senior Member duk4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    2,875

    Default

    Jimmy Carter, he was the first President I voted for. After that fiasco I voted for who I thought the best leader would be regardless of party.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

  8. #8
    Senior Member 2tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    7,803

    Default

    Frank Zappa. Just kidding. Actually it was Richard Milhouse Nixon. He showed me the value of anything that a politician might say, do or profess to believe. No party thus far is any better than he himself was. They just lie on different sides of the issues and have different price tags depending on how much they have managed to steal before being elected.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Frank Zappa. Just kidding. Actually it was Richard Milhouse Nixon. He showed me the value of anything that a politician might say, do or profess to believe. No party thus far is any better than he himself was. They just lie on different sides of the issues and have different price tags depending on how much they have managed to steal before being elected.
    I think for many of us the Watergate fiasco and the movie "All the Presidents Men" woke us up and got us to question what we had been made to believe all those years..I vividly remember watching John Dean and his testimony along with the others and thinking that they should all be hung by their private parts..had there been a lynch mob I would have offered to make the knot
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  10. #10
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I think for many of us the Watergate fiasco and the movie "All the Presidents Men" woke us up and got us to question what we had been made to believe all those years..I vividly remember watching John Dean and his testimony along with the others and thinking that they should all be hung by their private parts..had there been a lynch mob I would have offered to make the knot
    At least we had a press that would go after the truth back then... Now, they are in bed with the crooks.
    Bill Davis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •