The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who was most influential in forming your political outlook?

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Cary, my reference to confession has to do with Stan telling that at one point his father was a democrat, (pre-epiphany). What Stan maybe confesses to, is that maybe even dems have values they might instill.
    I'm sure Stan will correct my flawed interpretation.....

BTW it was Mrs. Cochran, my 7th grade teacher in The Plains, VA. 1960. She gave me a book, 'American Scientists' by C. J. Hylander. I did not become a scientist, but she inspired me to learn for the sake of learning.
    Secondary education came and went. I have stated before, and will again, self-education is the most valuable and lasting. It should never stop. JD
    Well, I guess I must confess. Both my father and mother were democrats. My father later told me he was ashamed for ever being one. Mother never admitted ever being wrong. She just said that she was no longer a democrat and that now she was a republican.

Cary, my reference to confession has to do with Stan telling that at one point his father was a democrat, (pre-epiphany). What Stan maybe confesses to, is that maybe even dems have values they might instill.
    I'm sure Stan will correct my flawed interpretation.....

BTW it was Mrs. Cochran, my 7th grade teacher in The Plains, VA. 1960. She gave me a book, 'American Scientists' by C. J. Hylander. I did not become a scientist, but she inspired me to learn for the sake of learning.
    Secondary education came and went. I have stated before, and will again, self-education is the most valuable and lasting. It should never stop. JD
    Going forward I respectfully request you leave my Dad (or any family member for that matter) out of your conversations and posts.

Thank you.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    Well, I guess I must confess. Both my father and mother were democrats. My father later told me he was ashamed for ever being one. Mother never admitted ever being wrong. She just said that she was no longer a democrat and that now she was a republican.
    I'm with your mother......never admit you are wrong......plenty of other people will say that about you

On another note Uncle Jimmy was convinced that at some point ( FDR's time in office ) only democrats would be allowed to vote so he registered as one.

I say "don't ask, don't tell". One person one vote, no party affiliation at all ( revamp the whole thing ).
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

For me my parents got me going in the right direction. President Reagan helped me understand the great potential of our country and Bill Clinton showed me how bad politicians can be and how much they can destroy in a few short years! Obma now is taking Bill's work to a whole new level.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Going forward I respectfully request you leave my Dad (or any family member for that matter) out of your conversations and posts.

Thank you.
    I'll honor your request Stan. Please note post # 4. I will respond to your posts...however. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

I'll honor your request Stan. Please note post # 4. I will respond to your posts...however. JD
    You just don't get it do you?
    (rhetorical question)
    He is my Father, I can reference him.

Those references aren't for you to use to make a vapid, snarky, personal cheap shot.
    Try to excercise some modicum of self control.
    Last edited by road kill; 05-09-2013 at 06:33 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

My political views were formed by my grandfather. I grew up a block down the street from him and lived with him for 6 months after graduating from college while getting started on my first job. He was a hard working guy who ran his own businesses most of his life. He supported several of his brothers and sisters and their families through the depths of the Great Depression. Grandpa loved to tell stories about "the old days" and he was passionate about and loved to talk about politics. Even after he went blind from an accident in his late 90's and living in assisted living he stayed up on current events. Down in the social room he led a discussion group where on person would read a newspaper or magazine article, then the group would debate the issue. Both Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt were heroes of his till the day he died. So if I seem a little liberal, its his fault...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Uncle Bill,,, and the current loonatic in the whitehouse
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    My political views were formed by my grandfather. I grew up a block down the street from him and lived with him for 6 months after graduating from college while getting started on my first job. He was a hard working guy who ran his own businesses most of his life. He supported several of his brothers and sisters and their families through the depths of the Great Depression. Grandpa loved to tell stories about "the old days" and he was passionate about and loved to talk about politics. Even after he went blind from an accident in his late 90's and living in assisted living he stayed up on current events. Down in the social room he led a discussion group where on person would read a newspaper or magazine article, then the group would debate the issue. Both Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt were heroes of his till the day he died. So if I seem a little liberal, its his fault...
    Cool story!
    Stan b & Elvis