The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not what I had in mind...pics

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    First, sorry about you losing the mom, but how wonderful that you found that great substitute! The puppies look like they've been very well taken care of! Curios to you and to that beagle!!
    Day 13 is almost over and still to all 9!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure all of RTF is rooting all 9!
    Keep up the great work.

What I did with the litter I had to bottle feed is I started adding a little bit of dog food (run it through the blender) around day 5. I did a 2 liter bottle of goat's milk (leave a little room), add a heaping serving spoon of yogurt (for probiotics), a squirt of Karo syrup (to ease constipation), a heaping tablespoon of puppy/dog food (I feed an all life stages), after 2-3 days, add 2 tablespoons of food, then 3, etc. I started that and by the 2nd week, I was able to reduce to 1 feeding at night. You'll have to cut a little cross in the nipples for the food to go through, it doesn't have to be big...I'll take a picture and upload in a bit. If you have a health food store, get Fenugreek, it helps lactation production since I'm assuming the beagle either just weaned a litter or didn't have pups and just "took over" like a bitch (that was actually spayed) I had a few years ago...it's also used in artificial maple syrup and that's what it smells like.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Keep up the great work. These puppies will be the most socialized litter ever produced. This is a great example of how much "fun" having a litter of puppies can be.

It is too bad that more puppy buyers do not have a clue about the efforts put forth by your female that passed and you personally. But most importantly is you have done the very best that you could for the 9 puppies. Congratulations for having the fortitude to stay strong!
    KARMA - The return on your entries will increase the sooner you decide to contribute one of your weekends to be in the judge's chair and judge others who have done the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawthorpe View Post
    Keep up the great work. These puppies will be the most socialized litter ever produced. This is a great example of how much "fun" having a litter of puppies can be.

It is too bad that more puppy buyers do not have a clue about the efforts put forth by your female that passed and you personally. But most importantly is you have done the very best that you could for the 9 puppies. Congratulations for having the fortitude to stay strong!

Jut got hit with reality!!!! Lost a male last night. Beat myself up trying o know why. Was eating good till 1130 lat night. Went for 230 feeding and he was dead. Maybe aspiration from bottle or who knows.... Hope this trend doesn't continue. Sux putting in so much fighting for each and every one. Just frustrating and sad. Thought after the 2 week mark I was in the clear.

I'm so sorry about your Momma dog and your little male puppy. Have you tried letting them lap up the goat's milk? I usually give my puppies a little puppy formula between 2 and 3 weeks just to get the used to the idea that they can eat without momma. They may be able to drink at least part of their meal without the bottle. Just a suggestion. you have my deepest admiration. I know you have had a tough road with more to go. Here's hoping everyone of your remaining puppies have a smooth road from now on and you get some much deserved rest!
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Almost to 3 weeks and got 8 going strong!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by whitelabs8675 View Post
    Almost to 3 weeks and got 8 going strong!!!!!!
    a fresh snapshot would be nice
    you did great. Still sorry you lost your girl and the one pup
    keep up the good work. so 3 weeks, gruel yet?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    a fresh snapshot would be nice
    you did great. Still sorry you lost your girl and the one pup
    keep up the good work. so 3 weeks, gruel yet?
    snapshot coming soon......Tried gruel today. Just a bunch of walking and messing up but they I'll catch on soon. Thursday is the 3 week birthday. Sucking bottles down like no tomorrow!!!!

Eight is awesome! So sorry about your loss of mother and one pup. It's always hard when one doesn't make it, and remember that can happen even with mom still in the picture. Can't wait to see another picture, although don't know how you'll find time to take it!