RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Not what I had in mind...pics

12K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  Pals 
#1 ·
[/url]

Lost dam at day 4 in emergency c section. Been tube feeding and now bottle feeding and we are at day 10!!! Poor beagle is helping out all she can but 9 pups is a lot on her. But any help is appreciated when I am up every 3 hours.

See less See more
#10 ·
So sorry you lost your girl. Congrats on a thriving litter and I hope you get some sleep! :)

#11 ·
I'm glad the litter is thriving. Hope you can catch up on your sleep in another week.

Good Luck!

#14 ·
So sorry for your loss of mom... something always on my mind with a breeding... Glad your beagle friend is helping , the pups look to be getting enough, with that and your supplementation. I hope things continue to go smoothely.....

#15 ·
Sent you a PM

#16 ·
Gosh, I'm so sorry. It's bad enough to have to bottle feed an entire litter, but to deal with the loss of your girl on top of it is even worse. That sweet beagle deserves a really soft bed and a steak when this is over!

#19 ·
Florence, ms. Thanks but I hope I am out of the woods in the next day or so. Goats milk has all but 2 satisfied so beagle only has to feed 2 consistently. I have a ton of respect for what a momma dog endures. Feeding, pooping, peeing,.... I have learned a lot to say the least. Vet said I would probably only get half to make it so I'm determined to show back up with all of them!!!,

#23 ·
What I did with the litter I had to bottle feed is I started adding a little bit of dog food (run it through the blender) around day 5. I did a 2 liter bottle of goat's milk (leave a little room), add a heaping serving spoon of yogurt (for probiotics), a squirt of Karo syrup (to ease constipation), a heaping tablespoon of puppy/dog food (I feed an all life stages), after 2-3 days, add 2 tablespoons of food, then 3, etc. I started that and by the 2nd week, I was able to reduce to 1 feeding at night. You'll have to cut a little cross in the nipples for the food to go through, it doesn't have to be big...I'll take a picture and upload in a bit. If you have a health food store, get Fenugreek, it helps lactation production since I'm assuming the beagle either just weaned a litter or didn't have pups and just "took over" like a bitch (that was actually spayed) I had a few years ago...it's also used in artificial maple syrup and that's what it smells like.

#24 ·
Keep up the great work. These puppies will be the most socialized litter ever produced. This is a great example of how much "fun" having a litter of puppies can be.

It is too bad that more puppy buyers do not have a clue about the efforts put forth by your female that passed and you personally. But most importantly is you have done the very best that you could for the 9 puppies. Congratulations for having the fortitude to stay strong!

#25 ·
Jut got hit with reality!!!! Lost a male last night. Beat myself up trying o know why. Was eating good till 1130 lat night. Went for 230 feeding and he was dead. Maybe aspiration from bottle or who knows.... Hope this trend doesn't continue. Sux putting in so much fighting for each and every one. Just frustrating and sad. Thought after the 2 week mark I was in the clear.

#26 ·
I'm so sorry about your Momma dog and your little male puppy. Have you tried letting them lap up the goat's milk? I usually give my puppies a little puppy formula between 2 and 3 weeks just to get the used to the idea that they can eat without momma. They may be able to drink at least part of their meal without the bottle. Just a suggestion. you have my deepest admiration. I know you have had a tough road with more to go. Here's hoping everyone of your remaining puppies have a smooth road from now on and you get some much deserved rest!

#30 ·
Eight is awesome! So sorry about your loss of mother and one pup. It's always hard when one doesn't make it, and remember that can happen even with mom still in the picture. Can't wait to see another picture, although don't know how you'll find time to take it!

#32 ·
Sorry you lost the puppy. I remember when I hand raised my litter, switching from tube feeding to bottle feeding around two weeks (because they thrashed so much the tube kept getting pulled out) was scary. If we cut the nipples enough for them to actually get some formula, they got it so fast it would come out their nose. I did not lose any after that, fortunately, but I lost two before. My vet and the emergency vet (whom I got to know really well during that time) thought that only losing two was outstanding. I was very sad about each one, though.

When I started giving them pans of food it was an incredible mess. I confined them and the mess in kiddie pools. From then it was a short time until I began getting some sleep. Good thing as I did some hallucinating from the lack of sleep.

I had a problem with the puppies' sucking each other's genitals. I didn't at first know why they were inflamed. The vet advised that could lead to a UTI so I ended up separating the puppies, each in his or her own cardboard box or laundry basket. I did lots and lots and lots of laundry! I hope you aren't having this particular problem. Maybe having access to your Beagle will help (give them something appropriate to suck on).

#42 ·
Hang in there! Prayers for you and the gang!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.