The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "Not Going" is Frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by RReeter View Post
    Thanks Tony, that is sort of what we did when we simulated a hunt with the club.. He no-goed and the judges got him. It lasted a week... Wish we could simulate a test day for about a week, I think it would work...
    I hear you. I'm glad it worked for you. If you are ever around Longview, give me a call and we'll train.

I'm with David on this one. First point; none of us here on the internet have seen your dog in person, all of our opinions could change after having actually watched your dog train. Two, pressure could be just what the doctor ordered, or it could create even bigger problems that could haunt the dog for a long time. I have written in the past about my two dogs, one is a high drive, go through anything dog, while the other is a more sensitive "thinker". Both are strong, built for cold weather, hunt late into winter duck dogs, but with the "thinker" corrections in training have long lasting, sometimes counterproductive consequences. I have learned to be careful with that dog. He still gets corrections when needed, but I really think ahead to what it might mean in other areas. This particular dog is very "birdy" but not that thrilled about blinds, so I started to use birds at the end of every blind. Even piles of birds where I was teaching a spot. His attitude improved immensely and he now runs blinds with gusto.

Just a thought.

John

Quote Originally Posted by RReeter View Post
    ... The first time he no-goed was on a mark at the Tulsa Master test water series, it was very cold even snowed a bit. ... And at the last test, it was the first blind when he didn't go.. and smashed the marks the first being a long swim, and the temp was in the mid 70's.
    What was the water temperature? After that long swim on the mark, he might not have wanted to get back in.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Ask your self why did it work ..? Do you use direct pressure on back or indirect on heel step forward and repeat sit..? I seldom use direct pressure once I have finished swim-by....Did you do a lot of back cast from a front sit when you did swim-by?...What about force in route ? If the reason is caused by lack of desire for water blinds as Granddaddy suggested, you need to make them fun for the dog ...big rewards for simple effort...We exploit their desire to retrieve and add pressure to reinforce behaviors... Steve S
    We were simulating a hunt test, and he ran the marks great. Came to water blind as soon as he didn't go, the judges got him with crops on the butt, so we lined up again said "back" and he sat there the judges got him again. Lined up again, he went and as soon as he left one of the judges swung a crop (not hitting him) but made a noise. he came back.. Lined up for the second blind and ran it just fine. We were not using a collar on him because we were simulating the test. Yes, to rest of your questions.. I have been trying to make it fun, but as stated earlier most of the time he is fine in training. That is one of the reasons I thought actual hunting with him the season would help with the fun part.

Thank you for advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Right , forcing to a pile has nothing to do with a dog screaming and yowling while running to shut the pressure off. Forcing to a pile could be with a stick, could be with a #2 nick....I am pretty sure Bon, if you were to see me force to a pile on water , you would not walk away disgusted.
    Hi Bridget, I am really taking my time with my Josie (Grady & Lola pup), I was told I was spending too much time of the "T" with her.. Can i spend too much time? We are starting angle backs this week.. I want to be good for my grand daughter. I have not used a stick, are you talking about just swinging it behind her as she leaves? Something like they did in the Sea-biscuit move?

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    What was the water temperature? After that long swim on the mark, he might not have wanted to get back in.

Amy Dahl
    We didn't actually take a temp? but from what every dog looked like it was freakin cold.. And that is what I thought too.

Rick In my opinion you can spend too much time on the t. Once the are turning both ways on "back" and taking R and L overs I go to pattern blinds and then to walk around blinds. I do not teach angle backs on the t, but on wagon wheel casting.
    I force to pile with the collar, not with a stick. I have had dogs get stick shy and did not care for it. My post above was just clarifying that pressure can come from a variety of sources. Once you have forced to pile with her, you don't need to revisit it unless , she pops or gives you no goes. fee free to call me tomorrow eve and I will be happy to talk to you . Crosby is a sensitive fellow, and I had to regroup once , while forcing to pile, when he started spinning because of pressure.
    570-466-3918
    BB
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com