The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the time come for more limited registrations?

Default Has the time come for more limited registrations?

Last week I noticed a lot of puppy adds for spring litters going up, having a spring litter planned myself, I was rather curious what was "out there".....

It has borderline appalled me what I have found on the various facebook pages... from no health clearances ( well we don't have any of that in our lines, when the grandsire is a known carrier on one side at least) to advertising "great bloodlines, "great grandpa was....." " multiple "hunting champions" in the five generation pedigree". To top it off anytime an attempt is made to point out that this is a rather "not great" way to breed dogs the admins of the more "popular" pages boot people for repeatedly asking if litters have health clearances. Then you see a "my female is in heat, I need a chocolate stud near...." it makes me cringe, esp when the first response is I have a chocolate and he carries DILLUTE.....

So is it time that a serious effort is made to put the brakes on some of the BYB's (or at least there ability to use good lines in their trainwrecks) by putting limited registrations on more pups? If I was the owner of that "great grandpa" I would be cringing to have my dog mentioned in that add. Like wise if I had sold a pup to that lady looking for a chocolate stud the thought of "my line/name" getting tied up with a DILLUTE gene would freak me out!

Limited registrations are common on the show side of things. I think they have other motives to do it as well, but maybe they are doing it the right way. BYB's are always going to be around, no doubt about it, but it bothers me that dogs from Great lines are being haphazardly bred and sold to un or at least under informed public.....

3/8 of my last litter were sold on limited registrations. I sold them for less, but to people that would have likely bought a BYB bred dog if I had not done what I did. All are happy and amazed with the pup. So far this litter 4/7 deposits are for limited registration, again, at a discount but it is worth it to me to be putting pups in to a good home without worrying if the guy that just wants a hunting dog, will change his mind and decide to breed the heck out of it. And I will be damned if I put a carrier pup into someone's hands that I don't know with full registration....

Thoughts?
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

I bought my last dog "limited". When I started seeing some "greatness" in this dog I talked to the breeder. After she researched his performance history and I proved his health clearances were in place she released full registration. This worked out great, of course she is an ethical breeder that I trust.... Might not work so well with some

Senior Member Last Frontier Labs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    I bought my last dog "limited". When I started seeing some "greatness" in this dog I talked to the breeder. After she researched his performance history and I proved his health clearances were in place she released full registration. This worked out great, of course she is an ethical breeder that I trust.... Might not work so well with some
    And this is how it is supposed to work!!!!
    Sherri Young

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have used limited registration since it became available. NO exceptions other than co-own. If the owner is interested in full, my contract states that after clearing hips, elbows, eyes--and CNM status if pup is out of CNM carrier--and earns a JH or CD, I will change limited to full. (All of my dogs are clear of EIC). It has worked well and I have changed status on a handful of dogs over the years.

I state clearly on my website that all pups are sold on limited. It weeds out people looking for breeding dogs with no intention of getting clearances or titles. Some people don't like it, but that isn't my concern. I have to do what I feel comfortable with when it comes to placing dogs out in the world.

Meredith

I've thought about this a lot too. With a planned litter, hopefully coming up this spring, my thoughts are to go limited reg., to be moved to full when the dog has, one gotten it health clearances, Hips, EIC, will be CNM clear by parentage, and CERF. Two is also titled in HT, SH or above, (or equiv. in other org.), derby points or better in FT. My girl is EIC clear but stud is carrier, I don't care for me, because I'll test, and breed accordingly, if the pups I keep show merit. I see all the crazy breeding's out there, no health clearances, no titles, but damn sired by FC AFC whom ever, sire, sired by grandson of FC AFC. They are not proving their dog has anything to add to bettering the breed, just riding on the distant shirt tails of whom ever. And no health clearances, with the technology available today why risk it. Way back when before testing I bred my NFC Granddaughter to a NFC son and ended up with a couple of EIC affected pups not only did it eat me alive spading and neutering the whole litter, then placing two affected pups, but it was heart breaking to see the little fellows with so much drive and potential,l not physically be able to do it. I feel as a breeder that I am not only responsible for my sire and damn choices, but also for the pups they produce, and not just up till they leave for their new homes. Placing them in a good, responsible home is one of my duties as a responsible breeder.

Quote Originally Posted by downbirds View Post
    I've thought about this a lot too. With a planned litter, hopefully coming up this spring, my thoughts are to go limited reg., to be moved to full when the dog has, one gotten it health clearances, Hips, EIC, will be CNM clear by parentage, and CERF. Two is also titled in HT, SH or above, (or equiv. in other org.), derby points or better in FT. My girl is EIC clear but stud is carrier, I don't care for me, because I'll test, and breed accordingly, if the pups I keep show merit. I see all the crazy breeding's out there, no health clearances, no titles, but damn sired by FC AFC whom ever, sire, sired by grandson of FC AFC. They are not proving their dog has anything to add to bettering the breed, just riding on the distant shirt tails of whom ever. And no health clearances, with the technology available today why risk it. Way back when before testing I bred my NFC Granddaughter to a NFC son and ended up with a couple of EIC affected pups not only did it eat me alive spading and neutering the whole litter, then placing two affected pups, but it was heart breaking to see the little fellows with so much drive and potential,l not physically be able to do it. I feel as a breeder that I am not only responsible for my sire and damn choices, but also for the pups they produce, and not just up till they leave for their new homes. Placing them in a good, responsible home is one of my duties as a responsible breeder.
    So are you saying if a person doesn't run in some type of test they are irresponsible? I can see clearances but getting some type of title? Come on. I am getting a pup and she will have full registration with no stipulations. However I am going to run her in both ft and ht and she will have clearances so doesn't matter to me one bit. I just think that saying if you don't get such and such on your dog you can't breed her. Some people have families and sometimes life happens to where a guy can't run test. So now he can't Breed his female even if she was the best dog he ever had done his research and had all clearances?

Nope won't buy a puppy with limited reg., I bought the dog , I own the dog...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Nope won't buy a puppy with limited reg., I bought the dog , I own the dog...
    That's exactly how I feel we will talk. If uou don't trust me to hold up my part then why should I trust that you will hold up your part on the guarantee?

I see ads galore with, (she /he is the best hunting dog I've ever seen) That may be true but, maybe they haven't seen very many mallard munchers. And I know, I think my girl is fantastic, but really she has flaws. Someone once said "the greatest dog out their is, everybody's". What are we really getting. By titling to a standard or beating someone in competition, shows that the dog has at some point, has proven it has the minimum skill sets, to be a good, or better, retriever. I'm not saying they are not all irresponsible. But so many of them are out there to make a quick buck, no titles, no health clearances, just the best dog I've ever seen. I feel responsible for my pups. And by putting some limitations on their breeding, is one way of protecting them from those that are less than good owners/families. If you don't like it, there are hundreds of full registration, best dog I've ever owned, litters out there. Some of them are great, roll the dice and go for it. Mine has proven that she can run multiples, and blinds. What skills does best dog ever have, found the duck stood over it till I got there, but it was in tall grass I'd never found I without her? I don't want to sound nasty but I get tired of the attitude, when a person takes the time to get the clearances, title their dogs to prove it's worth, big deal I can get old such and such with full registration for a third of the price, why don't you sell yours the same way.

I think that more people/breeders are getting clearances than ever before vs. 10-30 years ago...