The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs need training. Need recommendations- Northern Illinois

Default Dogs need training. Need recommendations- Northern Illinois

Hello RTF-

We are having an issue with our 3 year old lab becoming aggressive towards other male dogs and our ten month old baby. The other night the dog snapped at our child and got him in the head. Our baby is o.k. I talked with my vet and a few trainers in the area and all of them said the same thing: that is can be fixed and the dog sees the baby as a puppy in the pack.

Here is the history of the dog if this matters.

Almost 3 years old, neutered, hyper as all get out, will retrieve with the best of them. Has never showed any signs of aggression prior to this towards any human being. He is the type of dog to lick a person to death and will retrieve a 2x4 if you throw it. Started out doing obedience training in the area along with the Smartworks program geared for waterfowl hunting and fell off of the band wagon due to life getting in the way. (new career, new house, new baby.) He comes from the Troublesomes pedigree.

From my understanding he thinks he is Alpha. He still listens to me but it is sometimes a battle. Basically he needs some strict obedience laid down as well as this aggression issue taken care of or he is going to be sent down the road.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a trainer that can take care of this issue. I don't want to have to get rid of the dog and I honestly feel that his obedience is so far out of whack at times that with my knowledge and experience on dog training I am left stumped.

Thank you. Todd

I am sure someone will give you some good recommendations on dog trainers in Illinois. In the meantime, if you haven't read it, click on "Nothing In Life Is Free". It is simple and it works. Best of luck. http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

where in Northern Illinois? I always recommend Call of the Wild School for Dogs.... but when a dog is too big for his britches, a stern approach can be a quick fix. Trouble is, he has gotten away with some of his alpha behaviors. Please recognize that your approach to the dog has to change. I like the book "Ruff Love." Based on you are the keeper of the fun, food and everything in his life. He gets no privileges unless he acts right.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I will take a look at both of those book.

I am am located near Elgin.

I am pretty stern with him already, and sometimes he just doesn't care. Hardheaded. Must take after my wife lol

I checked out that trainer you suggested. $1800 for a month seems pretty high, but more reasonable than the last lady I talked to that wanted $1500 for ten days.

You need YOU trained more than you need the dog trained. Sending them off for a month or six isn't going to solve this issue if he's put right back in the same environment. If he doesn't care, its because he's the boss, why would he care what you say? The NILIF stuff is a very good start and its free. Look for some local obedience classes.

How much exercise does the dog get daily?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    You need YOU trained more than you need the dog trained. Sending them off for a month or six isn't going to solve this issue if he's put right back in the same environment. If he doesn't care, its because he's the boss, why would he care what you say? The NILIF stuff is a very good start and its free. Look for some local obedience classes.

How much exercise does the dog get daily?
    I agree, we both need more training. I have been to numerous training classes in the area and have yet to be impressed with them. Maybe it was my instructors I have had or something. In my limited amount of training experience, I feel like there are two types of positive reinforcement training; one is making my dog do what I say and actually correcting the problem, and the other is "look at the ceiling when your dog jumps on you" type of training. It seems most classes I have been to around here are the latter of the two. I feel that my dog is one hard headed/hyper sob that needs a better trainer than the old lady teaching fu-fu to jump around an agility course. This may seem rough, but it seems like the few trainers I have been to aren't used to such a hard charging/hyper dog.

As as far as exercise goes, I would say at LEAST an hour a day. Up until two months ago we were running the dogs a few miles daily.

Regardless of what you do with training, you must keep the dog away from your baby. I'm sure you realize this now, but zero interaction now. Zero. Even if dog is on lead or in a crate, he can still do damage in a heartbeat. Crawling toddling babies can incite a prey reaction, doesn't mean your dog is going to attack and kill people now, but, you need help, in home, not sending dog off, and you need a real professional that uses every tool in training, not just some clicker cookie guru. You and your family need to learn how to create and enforce the proper behaviors in this dog. NILIF is a good place to start and get yourselves oriented while you find someone to work with you. Good luck, glad your baby is okay.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by tazman7 View Post
    I agree, we both need more training. I have been to numerous training classes in the area and have yet to be impressed with them. Maybe it was my instructors I have had or something. In my limited amount of training experience, I feel like there are two types of positive reinforcement training; one is making my dog do what I say and actually correcting the problem, and the other is "look at the ceiling when your dog jumps on you" type of training. It seems most classes I have been to around here are the latter of the two. I feel that my dog is one hard headed/hyper sob that needs a better trainer than the old lady teaching fu-fu to jump around an agility course. This may seem rough, but it seems like the few trainers I have been to aren't used to such a hard charging/hyper dog.

As as far as exercise goes, I would say at LEAST an hour a day. Up until two months ago we were running the dogs a few miles daily.
    The place by us (which does you no good) that has the best classes is a business that also does Guard Dog/Shutzhound(Sp?) training and other advanced training for "work". They run basic obedience thru advanced classes at night as well that use good methods, mostly positive but not afraid of corrections. I'd stay away from the Local shelter and Pet store classes, which is sounds like you may have already experienced. See if you can find a place in your area the trains advance guard dog and offers classes to the general public.

A lot of the perceived "hard headedness" is a result of the environment they are living in and just a Alpha pack mentality. We are addressing the same thing with our 9 month old pup right now too. Using the NILIF stuff will make a big difference in a short amount of time. As someone else said though I wouldn't trust him around a baby for a loooong time.
    Last edited by IowaBayDog; 09-18-2014 at 11:37 AM.

There are so many pet dog trainers working with these similar issues with the many adopted and rescue pet dogs. I would start out by asking my vet. Next might be shelter/rescue that has trainer to "rehab" dogs so they can be placed. Then contact any obedience clubs in your area. A certified dog trainer that has specific experience with this issue is what you need. They are out there, keep looking- Good Luck.

Just remembered what the term is for some of these special training/classes for reactive and aggressive dogs.

B.A.T. - Behavioral Adjustment Training.