Training Grounds and Hard To See Marks
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear

Thread: Training Grounds and Hard To See Marks

Default Training Grounds and Hard To See Marks

I recently bought some wingers and have been training on a field that is ~200 yds long and 200 yds wide flat no cover. Its basically in the middle of a neighborhood so short trees and wood fences in the background. I have been running marks from the wingers (with stick men in front) anywhere from 100 yds to 175 yds.

It seems like anything greater than 130 yards it become very difficult for them to see it. My female has been running these distance with no problem and it seems like on these grounds its just hard to see the marks? I have tried sunny days with the sun in all kind of positions and overcast days all with the same result.

The only benefit is they are pretty much learning to run to the gunner without really seeing the bird. But I am really just try to build confidence and build a double.

Any thoughts on how to make this better? Or is this just a bad spot?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Bumpers or birds?
    Daren Galloway

Add streamers to the bird or bumper being thrown. I run into that problem a lot here in SW Ohio, Do not have access to many big field without getting close to treelines. Lots of dark brown backgrounds now, and when the leaves are green still hard to see. I use homemade black and white streamers, on the farther marks. I try not to use them if the light, or background is good, and not for shorter marks, but I want to the dog to see them, get the mark, and succeed. I noticed when I did run trails a few years ago, compared to hunt tests, trials marks are generally, clearly visible all the way to the ground. So I do not worry too much about the streamers being a crutch. We do run some very long marks without in the right situation, and so far she does fine.
    Also make sure the object is not flying too fast. Lighter bumpers off launchers can fly so fast they are hard to follow, streamers and weight can help slow them down, and be more like a regular had throw.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

If I were throwing bumpers I would first shorten up the distance until I'm sure the dog marks the fall. Then gradually increase the distance. On bright sunny days I like to throw black bumpers as I think it increase the dogs ability to see the mark. A cloudy day I would throw white or black and white ones.

In neighborhood areas there can be incidental movement in the background or other things that make it hard. One area we train has a busy road in the background. With cars going back and forth all the time, the dogs sometimes don't see the mark well. Also have one direction where there are several white houses in the background so the dogs lose sight of the bumpers. We also have a bike trail going thru so there is people movement. It's difficult getting wind, sun and people to all cooperate when setting up marks.��
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade UD MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Add streamers to the bird or bumper being thrown. I run into that problem a lot here in SW Ohio, Do not have access to many big field without getting close to treelines. Lots of dark brown backgrounds now, and when the leaves are green still hard to see. I use homemade black and white streamers, on the farther marks. I try not to use them if the light, or background is good, and not for shorter marks, but I want to the dog to see them, get the mark, and succeed. I noticed when I did run trails a few years ago, compared to hunt tests, trials marks are generally, clearly visible all the way to the ground. So I do not worry too much about the streamers being a crutch. We do run some very long marks without in the right situation, and so far she does fine.
    Also make sure the object is not flying too fast. Lighter bumpers off launchers can fly so fast they are hard to follow, streamers and weight can help slow them down, and be more like a regular had throw.
    Streamers! Genius! I completely forgot about those.

I am throwing large black and whitenbumpers and these new wingers launch these things probably 40 feet up. I'm not exaggerating.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter G Lippert View Post
    Streamers! Genius! I completely forgot about those.

I am throwing large black and whitenbumpers and these new wingers launch these things probably 40 feet up. I'm not exaggerating.
    Part of the problem is they come out of the winger extremely fast as well, not just height.
    Daren Galloway

Most of the time with bumpers without streamers from wingers the bumper is out and on its way down before the dog can see it, flash marking. Streamers will slow the bumper down enough for the dog to see them.

A boxed in 200 x 200 mowed space is of limited value to use over and over for marking. May be OK for drills and occasionally a mark or two. If you are relying on this field for bulk of your training I would spend time securing other properties to use.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    A boxed in 200 x 200 mowed space is of limited value to use over and over for marking. May be OK for drills and occasionally a mark or two. If you are relying on this field for bulk of your training I would spend time securing other properties to use.
    Im with you. Im using it to teach concepts. I have a 7 month old pup I am teaching the mechanics of a double.