The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itching and Shedding

Default Itching and Shedding

For the last week or 2 my dog has been itching more and shedding alot more. Have not changed anything with his diet or treats etc. Any clue on what it could be?
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Most Likely a contact allergy; what has changed in his environment lately (6-7 months), any new cleaners, new plants, something blooming this time of year, new medications? Has the standard stuff come out with a NEW formula? If you can find the cause it should go away, or it might've gone away all ready, it can take a bit for such things to work through the dogs system. I had one dog run up against one bush, that was in one yard on the property, a week, dry itching skin and loosing hair. Got rid of that bush, and vetricyn spray for a ~ week, the coat is just now getting back to normal. You could start supplementing with Vitamin E and A, helps with coat and skin health, also fish oil.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

maybe just blowing his summer coat.... getting reading for winter... Ragweed makes some dogs as uncomfortable as it does to humans.. we call it hayfever in the fall...

Omegas can help... consult with your Vet on what antihistamine may be appropriate and what oils added to the diet to help with inflammation.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Thanks for the help. Nothing new with his food Loyall Professional and havent changed. Could be allergies they are bad around here this time of year I know mine along with the kids have been bothered last couple weeks. He doesnt care for fish oil have heard olive oil helps if you use it couple times a week. Any thoughts on olive oil??

The theory is that inflammatory responses like allergy (which leads to itching) can be reduced by increasing the proportion of omega 3 fatty acids in the diet relative to the omega 6 fatty acids. Oils from wild fishes like salmon and sardines have lots of omega 3s.

Olive oil is not a good source of omega 3s.

Even if fish or fish oils could help your dog, it would take several months of heavy supplementation to work.

If your dog is miserable, your vet might be able to give him something to help with the itching while you figure out what is causing his problems.
    Last edited by mitty; 09-15-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    Renee P

No not miserable in the itching but is itching more than normal and shedding way more than normal. Does not seem irritated or uncomfortable just something I noticed.

There are many interesting products today that supplement the fatty acid profiles found in our dry kibbles.... you can find them at all the large Pet Stores, and the Grissly Salmon Oil is the most favorite. Owners also like the 3-6-9 caps found in stores like Whole Foods... if you are into New Wave ideas a new Oil for dogs is sold at Nutivia that is GMO free and Organic, THC free, cold pressed, and the best balanced Fatty acid profile.... Hemp Oil. Whole Foods sells it also... many also like the Nutivia Coconut Oil to add to a dogs diet.

The hardest thing for pet Food/ kibble makers to do is have enough viable fatty acids after processing/ cooking, and then long term shelf life. If they put more into the diets the food would come to you wet and greasy and then go rancid very quickly after opening the bag.

Once consulting with your Vet on fatty acid supplementation and if the itching is not hormonal, seasonal, pest related, if he says it is OK, the easiest to try is the Grissly Salmon Oil as most dogs love it, it just squirts on the food before feeding.. Wild Salmon Oil contains many omegas and antioxidants and as long as you do not give too much it won't loosen stool.

As already said Olive Oil is great for people, but dogs do not really show any benefit from adding it to their diet. What they are missing most often is the Omega 3 found in Salmon oil and owners see great results fast in itching symptoms.

My guess if the diet has stayed the same and fleas are not present, it is seasonal allergies from the fall pollens. Just blowing coat can cause itchiness as the new hairs push out old coat. Also check the ears for yeast because ears after a lot of summer water time, can be full of nasty yeast or bacteria and cause the dog to scratch often.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

My female was doing the same thing but shortly after weaning pups. I thought she was just blowing her coat and issue was hormonal. The dry skin and hair became much worse so started her on MirraCoat and bathe with MiconaHex+Triz shampoo Seems to helping.

Canned salmon, mackerel, or sardines added to kibble on daily basis all boost Omega 3s in their diet and I have never seen a dog walk away from these tasty additives.

Lots of dogs get itchy when they blow their coats. That's why some dogs rub down the fence line...trying to loosen the hair. Same with horses and branches. A lot of the double coated breeds that come into work for grooming LOVE when the air force dryer gets turned on! They shake and scratch and some get that "smile" look. lol
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!