The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: "The Smell of Fear"... Or, "The Smell of Trials" Adrenaline and its impact on dogs

When I return home and let my dogs out, I guarantee you that if I have stopped at the butcher shop, for dogbones, they know it. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

There is an interesting book called "Inside of a Dog" that talks about a dog's senses, and also about how dogs evolved into phenomenal observers, and manipulators, of even the most subtle of human behaviors. I know I am well trained
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

This thread is way to heady for me, a child knows the difference btw grandma's and home, despite training
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I have heard that before a test take a bath in tomato juice and it masks your smell of nervousness.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Plants bend to the sun..ticks sense minute changes in the ambient temperature when warm blooded animals pass..spiders sense vibrations a seismograph couldn't read..fish feel the vibration of a single bait fish as it swims by..a raptor can see a mouse undercover from a mile high..dogs can sense the onset of an epileptic seizure before their brainwaves change..my dogs hear a slice of cheese being unwrapped in a 40 mph crosswind through cattails..to argue which sense a creature relays on the most is...um..futile..they use what is available to their best advantage.
    "A dog doesn't care how much you know, until it knows how much you care."

Rick W Jackson D.V.M.
    Gunpowder Creek Retrievers
    Dakota Decoy Field Staff

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    I have heard that before a test take a bath in tomato juice and it masks your smell of nervousness.
    Just sent my wife to the store to pick up 5 gallons. I'll try anything. LOL!
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    so, it was a bumpy field road to the testing site and some feller splashed his a.m. bloody mary all about himself, then told you that as a cover story.........

hook, line and sinker ay?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I have to agree with Chris. Having trained a dog that is almost completlely blind and rely's mostly on her scenting ability and watching her through everyday life (7 years), training and running tests, I believe the nose and scent is the main factor on how a dog communicates. Visual is an important part of it, but thats with close encounters.
    HRCH UH C & L 's Madison Grace MH....500 Points (blinddogmaddie)

HR UH Smokin' Hot Mac-Kenzie.....WINNER of the 2013 Milwaukee Sports Show Fastest Retriever Contest (40 dogs entered)

Len Gums

I was not so much trying to discount the eyes and the ears.

I do feel, though, that most all FT-aware retrievers, if driven to a trial in a dog box that they could not see out of, in a noisy box or with music playing (so they could not hear guns and such) would know by smell when they are at a trial.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I can travel 1000 miles and my dogs can always sense when we are 2 miles from home, they can be quiet for hours through fuel and airing stops but the barking begins when we exit the interstate close to home.