The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for everyone with chassis mounts- GDG

Default Question for everyone with chassis mounts- GDG

I'm going to be getting a rig in the next year or so. I already know I want an Ainley box, and I've spoken to them. But, my question is this:

I know I'll be putting the box on a drw longbed truck (Probably a Ford). Does anyone have an opinion on F350 vs F450? I went and test drove both, and the shocking part to me is it really wasn't any more money to get the F450. I like the wider stance and bigger capacities, but thought you guys may be able to chime in. I'll be putting an 8-10 hole chassis mount and often times I'll be pulling an RV or ATV trailer etc so maybe the 450 would be nice? Anyone able to speak on that??

Lastly, if you had your chassis mount to do over again, anything you wished you would have done to it? I'd rather throw down and do it right the first time than wish for years I'd done something different. This will be my 1st chassis mount.

Thanks in advance

I have an Ainley with the standard holes size. I would get a couple of larger holes for taller dogs. Width and depth are fine, but 3 or 4 inches more in height would be nice for my tallest dog.

Heard the 450 has a governor on it & max speed is 80.
    AFC Black Magic's Return to Lender "Repo"
    Candlewoods Fox-C Mel, MH QAA "Mel"

Anyone here running a F450?

I got a new Ainley Chassis 6 hole in March. Being only a 6 hole , chassis was cab height. Would have liked it a little taller to store stuff in breezeway and would have ordered all stainless framing.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

Water pump, at least one battery dedicate to run the box, a large power inverter with outlets, airing lights on the sides and back, ventilated closet for a 12 volt fridge/cooler, slide out closet rods.

The water pump is very handy. You won't use it much, but when you need it, you will be very glad you spent the money. If I ever have one built myself, I would have the airing lights on the back wired so they work as backup lights as well. Backing the things up in the dark and/or rain, sometimes the standard backup lights just are not enough.

I would go with the F450 for what you're going to use it for. especially if towing a trailer.
    I think everyone missed the fact you were asking about the truck and not the box.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Get the F 450, there is not a downside

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

We have an 8-hole Ainley on a 2004 F-350. I wouldn't mind having a 450 if we were starting over. We would have all lower holes. We have 3 lower and one upper on each side. We have the pump sprayer--would not be without it. We had the largest bumper-storage that Ainley would put on it and it stores a lot of stuff. We have a slide-out food drawer (which Ron didn't advise back in 2004 because he said it would collect gunk and mold) and that works well for us. We scrub the food drawer out with vinegar/water rinse and let it dry--no mold issues. We have in inverter in a back closet so we can charge collars and such--handy. We have a plug-in inside the breezeway so we can plug in a fan to move more air when we are sitting still on a warm day. We have a micro-wave that Ainley installed (have Ainley install it if you want it to work right). When running dogs in cold water at trials, I heat up canned dog food and water for the dogs to warm them up and I think that micro is worth it--just for that. At Tulsa this spring, my dogs were shivering even though I dried them with a chamois and had beds in their holes. The warm food did the trick. We ordered our truck without a box, because Ron said you get a little wider body. I believe our holes are 42" deep and 21" high, and I think our dogs are pretty comfortable. Even our big 85-pounder has plenty of room to stretch out. Ron said you don't want really tall holes because the dog will be moved around more. You want the dog to lie down, not stand up during travel. We have awnings on each side--worth it to provide shade when you need it and it helps keep the dogs cooler. Someone I know has a removable side panel so if she wants more room for an older dog she can remove the panel and have the room of two holes (Ainley built). If we need that kind of room, the dog rides in the back seat. Truck came with two batteries and two alternators. We have extra batteries that work with the inverter to run things, and we change those extras out about every 4 years.
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 08-09-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.