The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: dog water froze?

Default dog water froze?

what is the best product for keeping dog's water from freezing?
    Ken Bora
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Antifreeze! JUST JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I know that the better pet supply stores have heated ones, but the idea of running 120v to my dogs water bowl somehow seems wrong, you wanna talk about a e-correction, one shock and the poor dog would never take another drink in it's whole life. I guess that was little help, but alterantives are out there.

Default Re: dog water froze?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora
    what is the best product for keeping dog's water from freezing?
    Ken Bora
    ...."Heat"

no, I'm not a smart@^#...! seriously though, you can either buy some sort of 'heated' water bowl/bucket, buy the type heater that fits inside your current bowl/bucket (i.e. sold at Tractor Supply, etc.) or bring the bowl/bucket inside every night during freezing weather. (which is what i do since i only have two dogs)

Thanks guys, maybe I need to clarify, I already take the pails in at night. I am looking for opinions on the best products to put in the pails during the day to keep them from freezing over. The dogs are kenneled for 8 1/2 hours during the day while I am at work and while they are not cold the water pails can get a couple inches of ice in that time. A bit colder than the Carolinas here .
    Ken Bora
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken, I use bird bath heaters. you can get them at the farm supply place. I use the ones that have a steel wire cover over the electric cord so they can't chew into the wire. there is only about a foot of cord visible through the fence so there really isn't much chance of them getting close to the wire.
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Ken,
    you might try an aquarium air supply ( bubbler) they are relativly inexpensive and you can use one airator to bubble more than one bucket by
    using a t-connector and a couple more feet of tubbing. I have not done this but arround here they do that on shallow lakes that would freeze out in the winter. I guess just play with the air output vs temp to see if it works.

For years I have used Nelson bucket heaters. http://www.nelsonmfg.com/dog-water-bucket-heater.htm They work flawlessless from year to year. I think that in 20 years I have had two go bad (no, they did not short out and fry the dogs). I use the model 50203 because I have kennels. I'm sure the other model works flawlessly, too. I have seen the model 10202 in various pet supply catalogs. The model I use has to be bought from Nelson directly as far as I know. Last I checked, somewhere around $50. The keep the dogs' buckets free of ice in the absolute coldest of weather - and I'm talking as low as 15 - 20 below zero (thankfully, on very rare occasion).

Thank You Don,
    That looks exactly what I am searching for. I just requested their catalog. May even get the bird bath heater they offer as a gift for my folks.
    Ken Bora