The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attrition or Correction

A real example with my dog Rowdy who is 14 mo. The first time on two down the shore he beached early on the memory bird. I called him back into the water and handled him to the memory bird. I used nothing but attrition. Then I ran the memory bird as a single. Then repeated the double. He did very well in my opinion. See my video.

I tend to stay with attrition for a young dog learning something new. Because you don't know if he is confused or just being hard headed. I am a lot less tolerate of a more advanced dog.

One of the things I learned from Howard N. recently was to spend more time lining the dog up on the memory bird. That helped me and Rowdy a lot, I think.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Bird boy help is probably an under utilized tool on water marks.
    Bert Rodgers

Most training questions cannot be effectively answered with much more than " it depends". It makes good discussion, though. The best advice I have received is to train with folks who have achieved a level you aspire to achieve and watch, ask questions, and ask for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    Most training questions cannot be effectively answered with much more than " it depends". It makes good discussion, though. The best advice I have received is to train with folks who have achieved a level you aspire to achieve and watch, ask questions, and ask for advice.
    And if something isn't working, do something else
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    And if something isn't working, do something else
    Without knowing the scenario or the dog, I would probably use attrition once or twice FIRST and then correct if still not getting the casts. But as said before "IT DEPENDS" lunch is over off to train the puppies
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Blind View Post
    Understand, but could the same thing be said about burning a dog in the water? She was probably 30 yards from the gun and 10 yards off line when she hit the beach, if that makes sense?
    I would prefer not to burn the dog at all in this situation...
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Blind View Post
    When do you use attrition and when do you use a correction to modify a behavior. I realize each dog is different, so what do you look for or consider when making your decision to correct or use attrition. Thanks.
    Brian

Edit: My original post included a personal example. I deleted the example because I was hoping the discussion would be more about the use of attrition and correction than how I used both in my example.
    Since I didn't see the deleted post ,here is my comment ...If in doubt to use pressure or attrition ...use attrition ...first and usually several more times before resorting to pressure...If the dog is older and more experienced with several of same situation under their belt ,I may come with pressure sooner ...Since their has been a lot of discussion about using it at the waters edge, my2cents on it ..I see no reason to not use it IF the dog is kept in balance and shown that is also able to get on the shore with out fear of correction ....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by TIM DOANE View Post
    So you agree with me. This cant be answered on a message board.
    I agree and they need help of a person who knows what to do at the right time!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"It depends" is dependent on what the dog knows.
    Attrition is valuable for teaching the dog the right way to do it. Correction is valuable once the dog knows the right way but has made the wrong choice.
    The question is: does the dog know better?

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    "It depends" is dependent on what the dog knows.
    Attrition is valuable for teaching the dog the right way to do it. Correction is valuable once the dog knows the right way but has made the wrong choice.
    The question is: does the dog know better?

Tim
    ^^^ I like this ^^^
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013