The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivermectin to kill fleas and ticks--safe?, effective?

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Default Ivermectin to kill fleas and ticks--safe?, effective?

Is anyone using Ivermectin to kill fleas and ticks on dogs? Because we put our dogs in water almost daily, I am concerned the Frontline or any topical flea/tick isn't effective. I recall there was a discussion here about Frontline being effective for about 3 weeks instead of a month. And, I will gladly apply Frontline more often to prevent Lyme, erlichiosis, etc. However, if Ivermectin can be used safely and is effective, I would use it. We have Lyme and other tick diseases in the MN, WI, area. I found this link with some information: http://www.ehow.com/about_5444740_ca...ctin-dogs.html
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

I have used Ivermectin for a few years. In my experience it does nothing to prevent ticks.
    I started using Advantix about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
    Last night I found an embedded tick on my guys lower jaw.
    I reapplied it today.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

It does not help with ticks and fleas. It works great for heartworm, hookworm, and roundworm. Heartguard pills from vet is ivermectin. They have a huge markup on it too as a bottle is cheap. I use it on mylab and we've always used it on our austrailain shepards. Its kind of a pain to figure out the mix at first but once you do it, its easy. Google DIY ivermectin dog there's lots of info about it on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by brsutton86 View Post
    It does not help with ticks and fleas. It works great for heartworm, hookworm, and roundworm. Heartguard pills from vet is ivermectin. They have a huge markup on it too as a bottle is cheap. I use it on mylab and we've always used it on our austrailain shepards. Its kind of a pain to figure out the mix at first but once you do it, its easy. Google DIY ivermectin dog there's lots of info about it on the web.
    i would ask your vet about using it on your giving it to your Austrailain shepards. You are not supposed to give it to collie breeds and Austrailain shepards.

http://www.ashgi.org/articles/mdr1.htm

http://australianshepherdreview.blog...tion-with.html

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/announceme...ctin/index.asp

dose is not difficult, 0.1cc/10 lbs. I have never known anyone to use it for flea or ticks. I have used it for decades and the dogs still get ticks and fleas
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

In addition to the link I provided that discusses the use/doseage of Ivermectin to prevent ticks, there are other studies on the web--studies done by University Cairo and cannot remember others. Ticks are a human problem worldwide, and studies show that use of Ivermectin for humans controls parasites in remote areas of the world. There was also a study using ivermectin on corn and feeding that corn to deer to effectively control deer ticks. The information I found on a couple of internet sites states that you use ivermectin twice monthly and provides the dosage amount to kill ticks and fleas on dogs. Has anyone on here used oral cattle Ivermectin to kill ticks? I thought as others who have posted--that ivermectin was only for heartworms and other worm parasites, but maybe that is not the case. Another link with information is: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10786024 . I googled "ivermectin for ticks on dogs" .
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 05-13-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

My dad and granddaddy have used it on there aussies for at least 10 years. They give 3/4 dose and have never had a problem, I have read places that its not a good idea but others state with less dosage should be fine. Heartguard pills have a smaller percent of ivermectin so that its safe on collies and shepards so I've read also. I don't know how true that is. I assure you it will not work for ticks as a standard dosage.

Quote Originally Posted by brsutton86 View Post
    My dad and granddaddy have used it on there aussies for at least 10 years. They give 3/4 dose and have never had a problem, I have read places that its not a good idea but others state with less dosage should be fine. Heartguard pills have a smaller percent of ivermectin so that its safe on collies and shepards so I've read also. I don't know how true that is. I assure you it will not work for ticks as a standard dosage.
    It is actually a genetic issue that will effect 1/3 of collies type dogs and is not really dose related. The first link I posted explains the genetic link. You may have had luck but sounds like sooner or later the luck will run out. Plenty of good options out there and I would not take the chance, but what do I know.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Does anyone use the 1.87% horse paste? That's what I have been using for the last several years. Fleas and ticks haven't really been a problem. The horse paste is easy to administer...

Quote Originally Posted by gsp1 View Post
    Does anyone use the 1.87% horse paste? That's what I have been using for the last several years. Fleas and ticks haven't really been a problem. The horse paste is easy to administer...
    You need to google ivermectin toxicity and blindness in labs. I would not be using it, personally.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by gsp1 View Post
    you most likely are not doing any good using the horse wormer, the horse digestive system is diffrent than a dog's, you would have to give much more paste for the dog than you would for a horse, you are better off using the Safe Guard wommer for goat's, the digestive systems are closer.

as for fleas, I use BayerTree and shrub insect control, apply the same way as advantge or front line, it has the same ingredent and is cheap, dont get the kind with the fertlizer, check out UKC Dogs.com search Bayer Tree and Shrub, ton's of info. It works great, fleas will not get on the dog. trust me it works.