The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Labradors - are we splitting the breed?

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    unfortunately for hunting NAFC Trumarc's Zip Code's competitive career lasted until he was 11 1/2 so I didn't have enough seasons with him but he was very very smart and might well have been the best of both if given the chance.
    That's good to know. My pup has a little Zip Code DNA in him.

Waterfowl NFC Honcho whose competitive career ended at 6 so after a year off to recover from blastomycosis I had quite a few seasons with him and I was seriously into duck hunting then.

Upland Li'l Ms Hot Pursuit (Pogo's dam) one of the best pheasant dogs I've had the privilege of hunting with.

unfortunately for hunting NAFC Trumarc's Zip Code's competitive career lasted until he was 11 1/2 so I didn't have enough seasons with him but he was very very smart and might well have been the best of both if given the chance.
    As always, thanks for the info. You have to be one of the very few (If there has been another?) who has been able to hunt over soo many fine dogs.

I was told about Cody's intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    You have to be one of the very few (If there has been another?) who has been able to hunt over soo many fine dogs.
    My life has had abundant good fortune in almost all areas other than making money.

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    David, do you believe that the current "structure" of the typical field bred Labrador Retriever in no way contributes to the increased incidence of TPLO injury? It seems the performance community would be seeing less TPLO injury both in older and younger dogs if "the grueling level of field work is the best proof of proper structure". In discussions with the ortho surgeon after my Lab's TPLO, he indicated that the very straight hind legs in some field bred Labradors predisposes them to CCL rupture.
    Sorry for the delayed response, I was off judging.........

Actually the "grueling level of field work..." is in fact showing that a number of field breeding lines have NO incidences of CCL injuries. Yes there are incidences of such injuries among the field breedings in general, but many believe there is a inheritance element to consider, i.e., there are certain lines with much higher incidences of various types of work injuries including CCL. And much like other traits & propensities, if there is a inheritance element associated with CCL injuries then if current testing leads to conclusions that there is in fact an inheritance element, breedings can then be planned that avoid the propensity much like PRA, EIC etc. And yes certain types of work, certain types of terrain, among other things have also shown to contribute to CCL injuries. All the more reason to rely upon the proven field lines for perpetuating the Labrador breed. Regarding the very straight hind legs that are attributed to field lines, I have not found that generalization to actually be true in terms of the general field population. But there is a segment of those Labs incurring CCL injuries who do have straight hind legs, which leads some vet medical authorities to theorize that such structure contributes to the injury. Nonetheless, form follows function & cannot be separated if the historic American Labrador is to be perpetuated. As such, those who breed with an independent view of form as the highest priority, IMO are not contributing or perpetuating the American Labrador.
    David Didier, GA

BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

My life has had abundant good fortune in almost all areas other than making money.
    1. good money
    2. good dogs
    3. good looks

it wouldn't be fair if the Good Lord gave guys like me, you and jacob more than two of the three.

(i lost my money.......twice. i sold the best dogs i was given. now i am left with ugly)
    john mccallie

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    We are not alone
    No you are not Bridget. Even across this side of the pond it has been 50 years since a dual champion retriever gained an award in our IGL ,in fact the last one was a Golden ! Ch Dai of Yarlaw .You have to go back further to 1953 for the last Labrador retriever 'Rockstead Footspark' who was a dual champion that ran in the IGL.

Curiously enough an article in this months UK Shooting Gazette covers this very discussion

The 'Split' emerged after world war 2 ,where the sport started to take on a new breed of handler/owner both in the show ring and the field. What was also emerging was 'commercial' influence. In both the show and field it was evident that money could be made by 'winning'!and if a certain 'line' or 'kennel' could consistently win then they became prosperous! irrespective of what the dog looked like (either field or show) ..Then what was born was 'The Kennel Club' !.....That was why I posted earlier the link regarding the exposure.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    What about this dog? Moderate?

I don't have Labs, but if I did, I would be very happy to have this one
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.