The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Labradors - are we splitting the breed?

Really? I thought the original intent of the breed was to retrieve fishing nets and boats from icy water. In which case, the shorter, stockier, heavier boned dog padded with some fat probably did serve a useful purpose. The high-powered, very lean athletes that we see today wouldn't stand a chance at the original intent of the breed.
    Goldens, on the other hand, were bred to hunt

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    But the original intent of the breed was to retrieve dead birds. How can we claim that a short, squatty, blockheaded dog, is the same breed as a dog as the incredibly high-powered, very lean atheletes that compete in sporting events?

Are we splitting the breed?
    Last edited by hotel4dogs; 05-13-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Field Labs today look pretty much like the Labs you see in the history of Labs books. Unattractive you say? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The breed is identified as being Labrador RETRIEVER; it is a breed in the sporting group. Too many Labs paddling around the show ring today look like they could not survive 1 hour at the marsh, in the boat, or in the field as a hunting dog. Many are too fat and heavy boned. Most are too over angulated for me. When they move... they waddle and their backs roll. Coming at you they are out at the elbows, paddle, and sidewind. I am usually disappointed when I watch Westminster and see the Lab who is representing the breed.
    Last edited by helencalif; 05-13-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin444 View Post
    I think what you are looking for is an American type lab as opposed to the English type. Which tend to be short, stocky, block head. The English type dogs are by no means slackers when it comes to hunting. With the internet you should be able to find a suitable Stud for your girl. I would start with the stud dog ads in RNT myself.
    Why do so many people tie the poor English Labrador to the big over weight squatty blocky show dogs. It just aint fair the fine English animal.

I think what you are looking for is an American type lab as opposed to the English type. Which tend to be short, stocky, block head. The English type dogs are by no means slackers when it comes to hunting. With the internet you should be able to find a suitable Stud for your girl. I would start with the stud dog ads in RNT myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Why do so many people tie the poor English Labrador to the big over weight squatty blocky show dogs. It just aint fair the fine English animal.
    I've long thought this youtube link a great response to that misconception: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBiL3ixsFY
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2014-2015 season log)

Quote Originally Posted by vergy View Post
    I think you'll find that the show dog may be closer to the actual breed standard than many trial type dogs. Go back and read the history of the Labrador retriever. They were medium sized dogs built strong in legs, chest, head etc. I care very much about the looks of my dogs. I have seen many dogs that perform in some sort of game or another and they are gettinq quite unattractive. May as well get a grey hound. I do agree the show lab is too short and robust but I am seeing some trial dogs built for speed with skinny heads, noses and legs etc..very off the standard and ugly!

Oh really?

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...QEwAA&dur=5840
    Last edited by blind ambition; 05-13-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

I think what you are looking for is an American type lab as opposed to the English type. Which tend to be short, stocky, block head.
    Where in the heck did you come up with that? English and North American field Labradors have the same physical characteristics.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

I
    think what you are looking for is an American type lab as opposed to the English type

no such things
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Really? I thought the original intent of the breed was to retrieve fishing nets and boats from icy water. In which case, the shorter, stockier, heavier boned dog padded with some fat probably did serve a useful purpose. The high-powered, very lean athletes that we see today wouldn't stand a chance at the original intent of the breed.
    Goldens, on the other hand, were bred to hunt
    Barb,
    Here's a brief history of Labs from The Labrador Retriever Club website: http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpa...in_purpose.php

Yes the ancestors retrieved fish & nets but was not at that point a purebred dog but instead a type of Newfoundland. It was also even at that point used to hunt game.
    Early specimens were described as "extremely quick running, swimming & fighting"
    The above was taken from the article.
    The breed wasn't registered as a purebreds till much later. Also notice how often the words "elegance without refinement" was used to describe early specimens. The Lab wasn't a purebred till after English sportsmen got a hold of it.

Here's a link to The Illustrated Breed standards for show judges. There's a PDF to download http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpa...e=Publications

Again, this is from the parent club website...

Lots of words theorize this belief or that belief to support a certain position on this issue but nothing speaks like photos of past dual champions - and they all look very much like many of our best field champions today:

David Didier, GA