The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there a club near New Hanover co. NC?

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia.Belle View Post
    Cantankerous as they come.... put him and his "cronies" together it always makes for a good training day.

K Rocha, if Joe didn't give you everything you need drop me a pm or better yet come see us in a couple of weekends at our derby/qual/hunt test.
    Stay away from that Oppegaard guy, though. He is nothing but trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia.Belle View Post
    Cantankerous as they come.... put him and his "cronies" together it always makes for a good training day.

K Rocha, if Joe didn't give you everything you need drop me a pm or better yet come see us in a couple of weekends at our derby/qual/hunt test.
    Thank you Sir, are you refering to the event in Rocky Point?
    does the club have training days or get togethers? I am asking becaulse I have a 14 week pup that I have been training using the Water Dog book, he is doing prety good (I think)he sits every time with voice or wistle, except during feeding time then hes to excited. It's kind of hard with the book becaulse I cant see excatly what he should be doing and how well he should be doing it. yesterday I started working on stay a little.
    thanks for all the info and help. Ken

Quote Originally Posted by K Rocha View Post
    does the club have training days or get togethers? I am asking becaulse I have a 14 week pup that I have been training using the Water Dog book, he is doing prety good (I think)he sits every time with voice or wistle, except during feeding time then hes to excited. It's kind of hard with the book becaulse I cant see excatly what he should be doing and how well he should be doing it. yesterday I started working on stay a little.
    Lumber River as part of there monthly club trial will have a Jr. puppy (under 6 months) and Sr. puppy (to age 1). They have there monthly event this Saturday at John Thomas's grounds in Rocky Point, which is approx. 25 miles from Wilmington. It would be a great opportunity to check out the club. There are a number of members from Wilmington who are knowledgeable and would probably and may be looking for additional people for there training group.

Quote Originally Posted by choch2odog View Post
    Lumber River as part of there monthly club trial will have a Jr. puppy (under 6 months) and Sr. puppy (to age 1). They have there monthly event this Saturday at John Thomas's grounds in Rocky Point, which is approx. 25 miles from Wilmington. It would be a great opportunity to check out the club. There are a number of members from Wilmington who are knowledgeable and would probably and may be looking for additional people for there training group.
    Do you happen to know what time? I usualy have to work on Saturday mornings.

OK
    After reading this I understand where your at and need guidance with getting started doing the right things with your puppy. These club training days if and when they happen will not be enough and you will learn too little too late. They are however a great place to meet people and find out who's who in the area.
    First best to find a mentor near by who is experienced and you can hang out with them often for training.
    Right now I would go to ybsmedia.com and purchase the puppy DVD Sound Beginnings by Jackie Mertens. This will help you Right Now and for several months. If you were more experienced Bill Hillmans puppy training videos would be good as well. You would still benefit for them but for a newbe I would get puppy going and you started with Sound Beginnings, find a mentor or good private training group then absorb Mr Hillman.
    Cheers
    Oh and PS
    With a baby puppy you want them to Go! Stay can wait a little while.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

thanks for all the help and reaching out to help me.

Do you happen to know what time? I usualy have to work on Saturday mornings.
    They typically begin at 8ish. The pup portion of the test usually, around lunch time. Go watch, meet and greet and get introduced to some local retriever people. If this month doesn't work out, check out the clubs face book page for next months event.