The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Credibility for the Silver Labs: Breeders, here's your chance.

Default Credibility for the Silver Labs: Breeders, here's your chance.

I've been thinking about this a lot. And in fairness, I have some questions that can, at least in my eyes, lend some credibility to the silver/gray Lab concept.

So, in the interest of proving that silver breeders really are concerned about producing more than just the gray color, I will give my respect to those who can do all of the following, most of which are standard practice for Lab breeders of any color:

1. Proof of the following current health clearances on your current breeding stock: Hips, elbows, CERF, PRA, CNM and EIC

2. Proof of at least hips, elbows and CERF on the preceeding ONE generation/parents of your current breeding stock

3. Hunt test titles in (pick any one of the three) AKC, UKC or NAHRA or field trial points on at least one dog you're currently using for breeding. Or give me another venue your dogs are titled in.

4. Proof that there is none of the following blood in any generation of your breeding stock: Crist Culo, Kellogg(the newer lines, not the nice older ones), or Beavercreek.

That will convince me, and my hat will be off to you as a responsible breeder. Looking forward to the responses.
    Last edited by Sharon Potter; 08-18-2013 at 07:20 AM.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I think I hear crickets but I am right there with you sharon
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

If it is true that the AKC will not recognize the silver even though people market them as AKC silver labs then you are either asking an irrelevant question or you need to consider the standards for the organizations that do register them. In my quick google search it seems there is a proper name for these dogs as a Labmaraner or Weimador with the following registries:
    ACHC (American Canine Hybrid Club)
    DDKC (Designer Dogs Kennel Club)
    DRA (Dog Registry of America)
    IDCR (International Designer Canine Registry)
    DBR (Designer Breed Registry)

Maybe you meant to say "AKC" Silver Labs but as I stated above, the AKC does not register silver labs. I would just like to know what the official name and registry is as I think this would be the best way to give a fact based opinion to someone when they ask, as I don't see the designer dog thing going away anytime soon.
    Last edited by RetrieverNation; 02-27-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: incomplete

So, Sharon, should I read this to mean that people who breed confirmation labs aren't responsible breeders? No field title = irresponsible?
    Darrin Greene

Darrin, the reason I left out show titles is that the color is a disqualification and the silvers aren't allowed to show in AKC shows so those titles aren't relevant to my query. No disrespect to show folks intended.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Team Huntsmith

The AKC allows them to be registered as chocolate, which many silver breeders do in order to lend credibility. But let's say they aren't registered with AKC and rather are with one of the fake registries listed in your post. The health clearances and pedigrees should still be in order, and they can compete in hunt tests in both AKC and UKC.

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverNation View Post
    If it is true that the AKC will not recognize the silver even though people market them as AKC silver labs then you are either asking an irrelevant question or you need to consider the standards for the organizations that do register them. In my quick google search it seems there is a proper name for these dogs as a Labmaraner or Weimador with the following registries:
    ACHC (American Canine Hybrid Club)
    DDKC (Designer Dogs Kennel Club)
    DRA (Dog Registry of America)
    IDCR (International Designer Canine Registry)
    DBR (Designer Breed Registry)

Maybe you meant to say "AKC" Silver Labs but as I stated above, the AKC does not register silver labs. I would just like to know what the official name and registry is as I think this would be the best way to give a fact based opinion to someone when they ask, as I don't see the designer dog thing going away anytime soon.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Team Huntsmith

Hadn't thought about the color disqualifying them Sharon, great point. I'm training one of these guys right now. Very large, terrible conformation and scared to the point of borderline aggression. Oh and cross eyed as well. We are going to straighten him out but it's a shame and I can't help but wonder if breeding for color only is what caused it.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 02-27-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    I've been thinking about this a lot. And in fairness, I have some questions that can, at least in my eyes, lend some credibility to the silver/gray Lab concept.

So, in the interest of proving that silver breeders really are concerned about producing more than just the gray color, I will give my respect to those who can do all of the following, most of which are standard practice for Lab breeders of any color:

1. Proof of the following current health clearances on your current breeding stock: Hips, elbows, CERF, PRA, CNM and EIC

2. Proof of at least hips, elbows and CERF on the preceeding ONE generation/parents of your current breeding stock

3. Hunt test titles in (pick any one of the three) AKC, UKC or NAHRA or field trial points on at least one dog you're currently using for breeding. Or give me another venue your dogs are titled in.

4. Proof that there is none of the following blood in any generation of your breeding stock: Crist Culo, Kellogg, or Beavercreek.

That will convince me, and my hat will be off to you as a responsible breeder. Looking forward to the responses.
    Is it irresponsible for a person to breed two hunting dogs that do not run tests/trials?

Quote Originally Posted by Cut em Shelby View Post
    Is it irresponsible for a person to breed two hunting dogs that do not run tests/trials?
    That's a good question, and thanks for bringing it up. In a serious breeding program, there needs to be some sort of concrete proof of trainability and talent besides "I said so". However, if there are titles in the pedigrees behind the two dogs, I have no problem with it.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I can't help but wonder if breeding for color only is what caused it.
    That was what I was getting at with the thread I started about older silver labs. It seems bad gene's and poor breeding standards have dealt the silver variety strange health anomally's and a short life expectancy.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE