The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barking Puppy

Default Barking Puppy

I have a 12 week old BLF that we brought home 4 weeks ago. I have been following the Hillmann Puppy program and am retired, being home with her every day. I have 2 primary areas where I keep her; an outside kennel and a 4 x 4 area fenced area in the Family Room. Her crate resides next to the fenced area in the Family Room. The first week she was fine being confined in the FR fenced area. However for the past 3 weeks she barks incessantly when ever I put he in the FR fenced area. I have tried to put her in her crate but she continues to bark. When put in the outside kennel she is generally quiet unless one of her toys is knocked outside of the kennel. Once the toy is returned to the kennel she is quiet. I allow her to play in the FR but keep her on a leash and closely supervise her. At times I need to put her in the fenced area and then the barking begins. I have told her "Quiet" and "NO" and have cuffed her under the chin to no avail. We have 1 or 2 training sessions per day and a couple of play sessions per day as well. When she is tired she will lay down for about a half-hour and be quiet until I put her in her crate for the night. I then turn off the lights and she sleeps through the night without any noise. I would like to have her in the house more frequently during the day but after 30 minutes or so of barking I take her to the outside kennel. Does anyone have some advice as to how I might be able to get her to stop barking in the house?

Why not crate train her when you cant watch her.....and house train her the rest of the time?

White vinegar and water. 1/3rd vinegar to 2/3rds water to start. May have to increase % of vinegar based on persistence, but I keep the same level for a week or two, and don't alter it if the barking is decreasing. Put inside of a strong squirt gun or sprayer. The $.99 sprayer at home depot DOESN'T do it. Get the $4-5 one. Hit them right in the face with it. It takes their breath away. May sting a little but don't damage them. Be consistent and as persistent as they are.

They will smell like vinegar for awhile, but who cares?
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Susan, what a great tip! While I was mixing up a batch of your magic potion, BLF was barking up a storm. I went to her area and gave her a shot in the face and she quickly backed up and wiped her face with her paw. Silence immediately followed. About 30 minutes later she needed a second dose and we have had silence for 3 hours now. It's a miracle!!!! Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by claycruncher View Post
    Susan, what a great tip! While I was mixing up a batch of your magic potion, BLF was barking up a storm. I went to her area and gave her a shot in the face and she quickly backed up and wiped her face with her paw. Silence immediately followed. About 30 minutes later she needed a second dose and we have had silence for 3 hours now. It's a miracle!!!! Thanks again for the help.
    It's actually FOM's tip! I always used lemon juice and water... but you have to hit them in the eye.... etc. this taking their breath away thing is awesome! I have one dog that I swear it was going to take a "Super Soaker".... but he came back from a kennel that way... took a little longer to break the habit!

Silence is wonderful!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I tend to feel a little differently about puppies and barking.

Canids in the wild don't bark - this is an imitation of human speech. Bearing this in mind, we can safely assume that when a dog barks, it's trying to communicate with you. Now, puppies bark an awful lot, which can be really obnoxious, I get it. Pup obviously wants your attention.

In my opinion, the key here is when you give the dog attention and when you don't. If you react to the dog every time she barks, that's exactly what she wants. They're just like kids - they want attention. You've probably dug the hole a little deeper by giving him the negative attention.

My approach is to put in the extra effort with a dog in the crate training phase. If I'm not interacting with the dog, he's in the crate. When he barks, I ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    I tend to feel a little differently about puppies and barking.

Canids in the wild don't bark - this is an imitation of human speech. Bearing this in mind, we can safely assume that when a dog barks, it's trying to communicate with you. Now, puppies bark an awful lot, which can be really obnoxious, I get it. Pup obviously wants your attention.

In my opinion, the key here is when you give the dog attention and when you don't. If you react to the dog every time she barks, that's exactly what she wants. They're just like kids - they want attention. You've probably dug the hole a little deeper by giving him the negative attention.

My approach is to put in the extra effort with a dog in the crate training phase. If I'm not interacting with the dog, he's in the crate. When he barks, I ignore him.
    Yeah, and when you have raised at least two puppies per year for 30 years, one can encounter those pups that by nature are vocal and dominant. Sometimes one has to use more drastic tactics with those puppies than "ignore"... it does work when other tactics do not.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I understand that her barking was driven by wanting attention. When she is in the fenced area in the family room or in her crate I was visible to her and she was demanding to be free to play. For the first few weeks I did ignore her. Sometimes she would give up for 10 minutes or so and then would begin barking again. The amazing thing is that she has received only 2 sprays of the vinegar solution 4 days ago (as I outlined above) and she has not carried on since. She has barked once or twice, only one bark where I commanded "Quiet" and she has responded appropriately. I must say that in this case the spray seems to have been the perfect solution.

When I started reading this, I thought you were writing about my 12 week old puppy. He does really well in the crate through the night and when he is very tired. He spends the entire day with me, including taking him to work. He's a great dog but if I try to crate him without him being completely exhausted, look out!!! I usually just ignore him, but with a 5 month old baby sleeping, that's not always the easiest thing to do. I know he just wants to be with me, but sometimes I need a short break when I cant devote 100% attention to him. He gets more attention and playtime throughout the day then a lot of dogs do in a week. I figured it was more about separation anxiety. I'll have to give this a try, because I feel like I've exhausted most options.

Let us know how it works for you. I have not experienced another incessant barking spree since the first spray in the face. My wife said she can't believe it's the same dog. I hope it works for you.