The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barking Puppy

I agree that James Lamb Free does have a pretty creative solution. For those of you that are not familiar, it pretty much involves some sort of startle to the dog. If you have a problem barker at that age do this. The next time he is barking, storm over to his crate and give it a good shake. This will do the trick. I know that all the PETA people out there are having a heart attack but it does work and will prevent problems later on. He is in the crate and your are outside. It won't hurt him, just cause an unpleasant surprise that causes him to stop barking. This may take a few times but will ultimately work.

The kind of condensed version of Free's solution was that after trying to catch his dog in the act and giving a scolding without success, he rigged what I remember he referred to as the "atomic bomb." It was some sort of metal can with nuts and bolts in it that when dropped from sufficient height made one hell of a bunch of noise. He rigged it on a remote release so he could drop it when she was actually barking and followed it with his command, "Stop that noise!" Apparently this dog had a little bit of a Japanese line in her. He dropped the A bomb twice and she surrendered.

Great book. Most of it is too dated- even a paragraph warning about e collars, but sections are really funny. I particularly enjoy his chapter about choosing a dog.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Justice [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]White vinegar and water. 1/3rd vinegar to 2/3rds water to start. May have to increase % of vinegar based on persistence, but I keep the same level for a week or two, and don't alter it if thebarking is decreasing. Put inside of a strong squirt gun or sprayer. The $.99 sprayer at home depot DOESN'T do it. Get the $4-5 one. Hit them right in the face with it. It takes their breath away. May sting a little but don't damage them. Be consistent and as persistent as they are.

They will smell like vinegar for awhile, but who cares?

justice.....

Would you also recommend the spray for a dog that is barking on the line? I've tried everything and initially it works until about the third training session and the barking starts again along with mouthing. It's like it hardens himself to the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by FetchinFun View Post
    Justice
    [/QUOTE]White vinegar and water. 1/3rd vinegar to 2/3rds water to start. May have to increase % of vinegar based on persistence, but I keep the same level for a week or two, and don't alter it if thebarking is decreasing. Put inside of a strong squirt gun or sprayer. The $.99 sprayer at home depot DOESN'T do it. Get the $4-5 one. Hit them right in the face with it. It takes their breath away. May sting a little but don't damage them. Be consistent and as persistent as they are.

They will smell like vinegar for awhile, but who cares?

justice.....

Would you also recommend the spray for a dog that is barking on the line? I've tried everything and initially it works until about the third training session and the barking starts again along with mouthing. It's like it hardens himself to the correction.[/QUOTE]

How old is the dog? When you say you have tried everything, can you give me a little more detail about what that includes?
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I tried to PM you but I don't have enough posts.

Quote Originally Posted by FetchinFun View Post
    I tried to PM you but I don't have enough posts.
    sgblaw@aol.com
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I wonder if the vinegar trick will work for biting? Even though he is only 12 weeks its NOT puppy biting, you can tell he is pissed when he does it. I've had labs for the last 21 years and I've never saw anything like him. My hands and wrist looks like I'm a heroin junky ha. He only does it to me but also he only listens to me so could it be a dominance issue?