The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barking Puppy

I sure hope it works that well for me!

Quote Originally Posted by claycruncher View Post
    Let us know how it works for you. I have not experienced another incessant barking spree since the first spray in the face. My wife said she can't believe it's the same dog. I hope it works for you.
    Unfortunately this didn't work as well for me. It didn't phase him one bit. He backed up licked his lips and barked for more. I guess my last resort is a bark collar.

It's been 12 days now and my pup hasn't required another spray and is so quiet in the house now we can't believe it's the same dog!

Unfortunately this didn't work as well for me. It didn't phase him one bit. He backed up licked his lips and barked for more. I guess my last resort is a bark collar.
    Rick, as Susan posted try increasing the % vinegar. She indicated that it may take persistence over 2 or 3 weeks. I was reluctant to put an ecollar on a very young pup.

I'm not ready to put a bark collar on him yet at this age, I'll try increasing the % and see if that helps.

Pick up a copy of James Lamb Free's old retriever training book and read his solution.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    I'm not ready to put a bark collar on him yet at this age, I'll try increasing the % and see if that helps.
    Don't be shy about soaking him in the face either!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by TexGold View Post
    Pick up a copy of James Lamb Free's old retriever training book and read his solution.
    TexGold can you give us a hint?

Will this work with a 2 year old? I have one that I had to finally resort to a bark collar at 4 months. Just a big mouth. He barks in the crate, in the big kennels, in the dog box on a tie out, just about anywhere when he wants to be somewhere else. He barks when the other dogs go in or out of their kennels or boxes. He barks when I leave and when I come back. I get tired of keeping the bark collar on him so often and for so long. So far its the only thing that works. Oh yeah, this is the same dog that is so exceptionally quiet and steady at the line, training or test! Go figure.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Will this work with a 2 year old? I have one that I had to finally resort to a bark collar at 4 months. Just a big mouth. He barks in the crate, in the big kennels, in the dog box on a tie out, just about anywhere when he wants to be somewhere else. He barks when the other dogs go in or out of their kennels or boxes. He barks when I leave and when I come back. I get tired of keeping the bark collar on him so often and for so long. So far its the only thing that works. Oh yeah, this is the same dog that is so exceptionally quiet and steady at the line, training or test! Go figure.
    Sounds like my dog! Barks when I leave, when I'm there, in the crate, in the kitchen, outside, pretty much anytime I'm not devoting 110% of my attention to him. Quiet as can be when we're retrieving, or doing any type of obedience work??? Other than the barking, he's a great dog so far.
    Last edited by Rick S; 05-27-2013 at 11:33 AM.