The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crate training - please help

Default Crate training - please help

Ok we are trying to crate train our 8 week old new puppy. Here are all the details and things we are doing. We have another blm at home as well.

We have the crate indoors downstairs. We do not have it anywhere by us, where he can see us or the other dog. We have made sure he has recently gone potty. We even wait until he is tired and sleeping. Then we take him to the kennel, continue to say kennel, give him a small treat when he goes in the crate. We have then tried a few different things. First just close the door and walk away, he cries forever. We have put a hard toy in with him, he cries forever. We have even tried holding the door almost closed, put our hand in and pet him until he calms down. Then we close the door, he cries forever. We have left him in for :45 minutes and he will just cry the entire time.

The first 2 nights we would put him in. He would cry for a bit and then get quiet for like 15 minutes then cry. We have been taking him out about every 2 hours when he is crying to go potty. He usually does.

Please help

First
    8 week old puppy
    You and he will be much happier if you park that crate next to your bed for a while. The crying will probably stop and he should also make it through the night without needing to get up every 2 hours.
    Try it even if you have reasons not to.
    second go this this site and on the right of home page is the "must read" section of pdf docs for crate training and baby puppy stuff. Read them all.
    http://www.dogtrainersworkshop.com/

PS
    Haul puppies crate next to your bed for the night.
    For the daytime move it back to where you've been keeping it.

You'll only need to do the bedroom thing for a short while if it's a problem.
    Remember he just left his litter mates and is not familiar with being left alone.
    Last edited by Breck; 06-20-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

If it were my dog that crate would be where I was. At 8 weeks my dogs are feed in thier crate so it becomes thier lair so to speak but they need you or members of the family where they can see you until they get accustomed to being alone.
    Clay
    Blue Skies Eye of the Storm MH
    Blue Skies Rags to Richs MH
    Blue Skies Travelin Man MH
    Blue Skies Snowy River Cruse SH
    Blue Skies Rough Rider Kate SH
    and all Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Listen to the advice that has been given it will all pay dividends in the long run. Make puppy think the crate is an awesome place to be. And deff. put it by your bed. He is a baby he will feel more secure there, might take some time but it will work. Plus you are right there if he needs to go out.
    Black as mollases, call name Strap

Sire: Fc Afc Land ahoy "PIRATE"

Dam: Ten bears little bit "BUTTON"

Quote Originally Posted by blackasmollases View Post
    Listen to the advice that has been given it will all pay dividends in the long run. Make puppy think the crate is an awesome place to be. And deff. put it by your bed. He is a baby he will feel more secure there, might take some time but it will work. Plus you are right there if he needs to go out.
    This X1000. Even better if you can touch the crate from your bed if necessary. Don't hit the crate, because you want it to be the dog's safe place, but sometimes just putting your hand on it helps IMHO.

Do you have a towel, tshirt, something from mom in the crate? Shoes or something to make the pup feel like he is sleeping next to his litter mates as he is accustomed to doing? It probably helps to make it as close to the environment he came from as you can to start with and gradually remove some of that stuff as he gets acclimated to being alone.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Thanks all. We are moving the crate now. Putting some toys in making it home. Will be by the bed tonight. I do have a shirt from litter mates but several have said don't put that it because they can chew it and swallow it.

I'm feeling your pain Todd! Keep with it!
    Randy
    Randy Hand
    Semper Klamath River Amber Ale** (Amber)
    Klamath's Heartbreak Kid (Valentino)

we never used a crate. Instead we used baby gates and allowed Rose to roam between bedrooms at night - of course they were all puppy proofed. As she grew we allowed her in more areas of the house until she had freedom to the entire house. Instead of the crate she chose to sleep under the night stands. Now she sleeps in the beds as she is older and the fear of her falling off the bed is no longer a problem. She is one year old now.

Go ahead and put shirt in the crate. low risk
    If he tears into it then remove it.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Klamath Hunting Gold View Post
    I'm feeling your pain Todd! Keep with it!
    Randy
    Now I know why we got Porter from you already trained . Well Baxter is great and the kids are actually helping throughout the night. I think the crate placement will help.