The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: immune mediated thrombocytopenia

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    What does NEU mean on a blood test? It was a little high today.
    I didnt think about it at vet. I hope all goes well.
    Thanks, Brad
    Neutrophil count- one type of white blood cell.
    thrombocytopenia mean low platelet count- can have multiple cause, may be a long term problem or a short term is related to a toxic reaction to something. Way to complicated to discuss in this forum. Look for info at veterinarypartner.com
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

Neutrophils being elevated in the context of other parameters may suggest the body is attempting to fight off a perceived threat/infection (including the dog's own platelets). However, this elevated neutrophils in the absence of other signs and symptoms can be a result of the prednisone (fully expected side effect of the drug).
    We recently lost a shih tzu to IMHA (immune mediated hemolytic uremia). Immune disorders/diseases can present in a very unclear fashion in humans, and with my limited knowledge of animal medicine --- I can only imagine it's much more difficult in animals.
    I recall our vet trips, the rollercoaster ride through the illness process, and almost daily diagnosis changes. I hope you all the best.
    Best of luck with your dog and his health.
    matt
    Last edited by Matthew J. Ries; 05-16-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

IMHA is a severe potentially life threatening disease in dogs while IMT is much less severe and predictably responsive to treatment. The neutrophilia secondary to corticosteroids is common.

She had a spell about 2 weeks ago where she was was throwing up a lot and took her back to ER clinic. Er doc and my vet asked if she could have eaten a mushroom. Very possible.
    Platlets and liver enzymes are back to normal, but there where a couple other things still off but heading in the right direction. Down to 1/2 prednisone every 2 days for two weeks then retest in a month
    Guess ill never know if it was tick desease or mushroom or ????
    Shes been acting fine.
    Hopefully just a mushroom