The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired gun marks: to handle, or not handle, during training

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Hmmm...I guess I never felt the desire to investigate that one... Appears to be from your general area of the CONUS...lol

Frooot looop reguards,
    Last edited by Duckquilizer; 05-16-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Westphal View Post
    That's how we'd start out as well. Let the dog come back in from picking up the first or second mark, line him/her up at the retired gun who has yet to retire....and then either instruct the gunner to retire or have him retire the moment I send the dog. Radios are imperative in teaching retireds (IMO) as if the gunner is unable to see the dog, he's unable to help unless you have a means of instructing him.
    That's pretty on the money and you are 100% correct about having radios at the gun stations.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I there a "wrong side" of a retired gun?

Gooser
    That's another debate, but I'm glad you asked.

Can you hook a retired gun? I don't think you can.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Paul, why do you feel compelled to make fun of people asking for help with retriever training, on a forum for people needing help with retriever training?

Why don't you tell us all how you learned to train retrievers? Did you go to retriever training school? Who did you apprentice with? Have you produced any all age dogs?
    Im on my phone in an airport going to judge a hunt test across the country. Ill give you a full answer to your questions later and could write pages on this topic. As a pro trainer I get to work with a fair share if dogs. If it helps I just turned 44 and I got my first open win at 13. I ran a few dogs since then.

/paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I've been training on retired guns quite a bit lately. It seems my dog is marking the fall OK , and takes a good line but isn't confident enough in himself to keep that line. He will sometimes start to hunt the bird early and ends up way off line, and has even headed to an old fall.
    Retired singles are no problem and usually doubles aren't either. Long retired on a triple ,especially if he has to go through heavy cover, is where he has problems.
    Trying to figure out if it is a confidence issue or he's quitting and taking the easy way out. Tried recalling and sending again and he went straight to it. What do you do if you feel he is just being lazy about it?
    Tim

Nothing to hook IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    That's another debate, but I'm glad you asked.

Can you hook a retired gun? I don't think you can.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    There's a small but significant bylaw written into the RTF rules of conduct that states for every ten posts of helpful advice there must be one, sarcastic, belittling or humorous unrelated to the subject post. Or as an alternative you can substitute any post from featherquest.
    Featherquest's trolling notwithstanding, I didn't read the post as belittling. I assumed he was referring the the extensive treatment of teaching retired guns in TRM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Featherquest's trolling notwithstanding, I didn't read the post as belittling. I assumed he was referring the the extensive treatment of teaching retired guns in TRM.
    Yeah I was just joking, I have no idea what video he was asking about. I was just addressing the general issue that most threads contain a lot of useful information with just a smattering of odd unrelated post here and there. I don't what Renee took offence with, just seemed like an out of left field post to me, what video?

/paul was just pointing out that you can't train a dog from videos, in his own helpyhelpperson way. Have to actually, you know, get your hands dirty so to speak. This has been an interesting thread, lots of good information to be had.

Featherquest is a female, not a boy boys.
    and yes owns a golden.

...............sigh................

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    /paul was just pointing out that you can't train a dog from videos, in his own helpyhelpperson way. Have to actually, you know, get your hands dirty so to speak. This has been an interesting thread, lots of good information to be had.

Featherquest is a female, not a boy boys.
    and yes owns a golden.

...............sigh................
    Exactly. I don't think he was trying to be mean, but his schtick has gotten old.
    Renee P