The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Retired gun marks: to handle, or not handle, during training

What does it matter?? Getting out early is a no no, lost or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    How will you know if the dog is cheating or lost? Steve S

It doesn't matter. The dog cheated the cover. When that happens you have bigger fish to fry than a retired mark at that point. It's frustrating when you have to stop a nice marking setup because of a fundamental issue but fundamental issues must be addressed and not allowed to erode your dogs progress.
    What you have said is very good logic...I agree on the training you have described ...I assume you would recommend to the OP that they handle on the cover cheat...Correct ? My question is then did the dog know where the bird was...? OR.. did your intervention have an influence on the dog.? Steve S my comments in red .... [/I]

Funniest thing I ever saw at a field trial had to do with a dog beaching early.
    Pro handler wasn't having any of that.
    Put the horn on him.
    The dog didn't sit but immediately turned and launched his ass back in the water.
    You had to chuckle.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Off the marking subject but as far as getting out of the water on blinds, how many of you train the "permission cast"?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Off the marking subject but as far as getting out of the water on blinds, how many of you train the "permission cast"?

What's the "permission cast"???

First time I remember hearing this term!
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    What does it matter?? Getting out early is a no no, lost or not.
    "The question is whether dog should get reprimanded. If it is cheating, yes, if it is lost, no." Renee This is the question I was responding to....Key word is reprimanded....
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 05-18-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

"The question is whether dog should get reprimanded. If it is cheating, yes, if it is lost, no." Reene This is the question I was responding to....Key word is reprimanded....
    Granddaddy pointed out an error in my response, I should have written about dog showing that intended to get out early.

So dog gets a handle when it shows it's intent. If dog continues to shore despite handle...what I would do "depends" on level of dog training and what I think dog knows.

If I gave dog a cast, and got a cast refusal...well what I SHOULD do is beyond my pay grade.

But at my current pay grade I would have bird boy pick up bird if dog continued to head for the beach, despite my casts.

I gotta read Dennis' article!
    Last edited by mitty; 05-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Renee P

The dog didn't sit but immediately turned and launched his ass back in the water.
    Hand in the cookie jar.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I don't think we have been on that subject for some time ....The OP "If dog needs handling on way to mark, gun retired, does the dog learn anything about marking?" Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

I do not. I feel it is very unreliable at a distance. I feel it is better to train them to take the cast given than depend on a quiet voice reaching them.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013