Thread: Lack of Drive ???? HELP!

Default Lack of Drive ???? HELP!

This is the setup
    8 month old
    Using SmartWorks Program.
    CC to fetch
    Just got through walking fetch & fetch no fetch
    Now working on Mini Pile.

I am concerned about the lack of drive during this pile work. He runs at about 50%-60%. It seems to me like it is a lack of confidence. In the 3 bumper mini pile as used in Smartworks, the first cast he gives 100% to the bumper “5 or 6 feet away” but as the distance increases “bumper two 10 feet” “bumper three 15-20 feet” he steadily decreases the amount of drive.
    So what are some techniques for increasing drive during pile work and blinds? Fetch-Nick-Fetch???????????????

Thanks,
    Dustin

I do not know the drill you are speaking of off the top of my head, but if you are running him past a spot where he just picked up a bumper of course he is gonna slow down just a little to check out whether or not he missed something. Also drills are BORING!!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I'd be giving him a lot of live pigeons, etc, in between all this if you aren't. He may be a little immature for a lot of structured force work at that age. Others may disagree however.

Are you sure he is solid on Force Fetch? I am nor familiar with the SmartWorks program, so I cannot comment on that.
    In my experience if they are properly Forced and understand pressure I don't think they would be having this problem.
    One clue you gave is your last question-Fetch nick Fetch- If your are increasing your distance from the pile you should have had an easy transition from the word Fetch to back. Not sure I am helping or not.
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

Quick question are you giving fun bumpers and lifting the tempo during drills as said earlier drills are boring
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    This is the setup
    8 month old
    Using SmartWorks Program.
    CC to fetch
    ....So what are some techniques for increasing drive during pile work and blinds? Fetch-Nick-Fetch???????????????

Thanks,
    Dustin
    You can't force style. When you force a dog, and see the dog accelerate, that's not style; it's avoidance. It doesn't tend to last. In fact it tends to go the other way - taking the dog's overall style down right along with his attitude. Can you shoot some video of a typical session and post it up or email it to me? rushcreekpress@aol.com

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Ditto what Evan said: Not uncommon for dogs to slow down and be a bit moody during this time. You are doing fine, maybe relax the pressure for a few days - just throw some fun bumpers, get him on some birds......sometimes they just need a little time to process.
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com

You could be creating the lack of style you are seeing by 1) over drilling - yes, they are boring to the dog as well as you. You can suck the style out of them. 2) running him past the point he has already picked up a bumper 3) not praising enough. Use your fun bumpers.

Your 8 month old is a baby. Make it fun and happy. This doesn't mean to relax your standard, but sessions should be short and sweet. Get in, and get out.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Thanks for the replies.
    I plan to get on some real birds this weekend at a HRC training day. Unfortunately it is not easy for me to keep live birds or frozen ones right now. I hope that will get him fired up.
    I think he is properly FF he gets it. He did great in walking fetch and fetch no fetch. If I say fetch he is looking for a bumper to pick up..
    Evan,
    I was hoping you would join in on this. Judging by some replies your program must take a little different approach to this than others. I have been following your program, and plan to continue all the way through. BTW I have put no force into mini pile. The force question was simply that; just a question. I will try to get some video this weekend of a typical afternoon session, and post it.

I will try to be more excited and animated as well. I probably taking too much of a drill sergeant approach to this, I struggle to remember he is not even a year old yet….

Thanks,
    Dustin

And some video? Is that a go?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile