The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Training Help in Michigan

Default Training Help in Michigan

So, as it turns out my 3yo YLM is spending the summer with the girlfriend again this year. I was really looking forward to spending a lot of time with him on live birds, but that won't be happening. Long story short, I need someone in the area of Oakland County, MI that could assist in training him. My girlfriend is not accustomed to training or hunting at all, but she would be able to throw bumpers and help out. I am looking for all the help I can get, be it another amateur like myself, or a pro who does training days. I would be willing to pay for birds and other expenses of course, so I could work out something with anyone who could help. If anyone is able to help me out, or knows of someone who might be able to, I would greatly appreciate it.

A little about him, he hasn't had solid training for about a year now, as I only got to work with him on short periods when I was back home. I was using the Dokken: Gun Dog training DVDs and 10-Minute Retriever by Amy Dahl as my training plan. He is not exactly a high energy dog, but does have a strong prey drive on birds.

You might email David Keehn out of Caro. If he can't help, he may know someone who can. david@dustyrosek-9trainer.com

PM me. Are you training for HT or trials? Where is your dog in training?
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Pat: I have sent him a message, thanks for the help.

8mmag: I'm afraid I don't have enough posts to PM you.

Check with Darrin Mormon of Farpoint Retrievers. He does three training days a week at Omega Farms a bit east of Lansing. 989 233 0562 His setups and knowledge are way more than worth while.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I should have mentioned that I'm not really trying to get him into field trials or anything as this is my first dog and have no experience with tests or trials. I really just want a solid dog in the blind with me for ducks and can work upland on dove too. And I'm not sure that sending him to a pro will be an option, I know some pros down in GA will do training days for a small fee, not sure if any up there would. Thanks Dan.

I should have said Darrin has 3 days of group training. Mon, Wed and Thurs. 0900 to 1500
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."