The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Realtime (or at least updated) sattelite image (do they exist?)

Default Realtime (or at least updated) sattelite image (do they exist?)

We did some digging last year but once the engines cooled off we didn't get rain so our pond was empty for the last 12 months. Finally have some moisture & am looking for a google earth type picture that shows the points & water level... The ones I've seen are from over a year ago when there was no pond... I'd like to get one from the last 30 days if possible to show the guys where we want stuff changed/moved...

Anyone know where I can acquire (I'm willing to buy it or subscribe to something if needed) an updated image..??

Thanks!!

SMO
    SMO

I think the dept of ag does aerials every two years, so maybe check with your local nrcs office and see if they have anything - if you are lucky they just did yours and they might have something, although i think it takes awhile for the local offices to download the stuff. On the eastern shore of VA they do them in odd numbered years, so i'll be looking for updates in the fall.
    Larry Housman
    GMHR-I Nils Lofgren's Moontears 1995-2010
    GMHR-II Silverbrook Gunar's Yellow Merkin MH 2001-2014
    GMHRCH-IV Silverbrook's Life of Brian MH
    NPRC's Basking in the Glow of Good Enough

If you dont have any luck with an updated google earth type thing, you may be able to contact your local airport to see if anyone does aerial photography in your area. Dont know what the costs would range, but may be worth a shot

Thanks for the info - terraserver is (from the looks of it) summer of 2011 or earlier... Local airplane picture is prolly a good idea too - but be nice to use the app like google earth where you can put yardsticks down & such...

Oh well - pretty much confirmed my research - thank you for your time!

SMO
    SMO

not unless you have some serious clearances from the powers that be, we are currently working with 2012 aerials from last summer. Best bet for what you are wanting is to see if your local SWCD does an air tour in the summer(many do for farmers wanting to check crops) or find a buddy with a plane. I am going to sweet talk a custom applicator when he is spraying crops and have him do a look see/picture over our farm.

Terraserver is the most recent of anything comprehensive (that I have clearance for ). There are pockets of more recent, typically done by the state or county for agricultural purposes (google often licenses this). We recently had some aerials done for a plant under construction and used some dude with a home made drone and a camera. It was a lot cheaper and quicker than the old real airplane or balloon stuff we have done in the past. You might google drones for aerial surveying in your area as it seems to be the latest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Terraserver is the most recent of anything comprehensive (that I have clearance for ). There are pockets of more recent, typically done by the state or county for agricultural purposes (google often licenses this). We recently had some aerials done for a plant under construction and used some dude with a home made drone and a camera. It was a lot cheaper and quicker than the old real airplane or balloon stuff we have done in the past. You might google drones for aerial surveying in your area as it seems to be the latest thing.
    In light of recent..........amen............agency "inquiries"--GO TO THE LIBRARY TO GOOGLE THIS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    In light of recent..........amen............agency "inquiries"--GO TO THE LIBRARY TO GOOGLE THIS!!!!

Too late! I'm sure they've already found all of you out.

Look into model rockets, some have very nice cameras. Place something on the ground that is of a known size.