The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy BLF !!

Default Crazy BLF !!

Ok...My problem is this, I have a 6 month old BLF. When I have her out and she sees other dogs retrieving she goes absolutely bizerk! For example, I was at Puppy obedience class and a dog in the next ring was sent to retrieve and she went crazy barking, pulling at the leash. Now I understand I want her to be a retrieving maniac, but I do not want her to be a distraction to the other dogs if we decide to pursue hunt tests. What is my best course of action here? I am extremely new to the retriever world.

Have you done basic obdience? How did you socialize the puppy? Has she been exposed to other dogs? Where does she sleep? Do you free-feed, or take leftovers up when she's done? How much exercise does she get daily?

Too often we make the mistake of thinking that what happens in the field, is independent of what happens at home. All things to think about.

I have had her at Puppy obedience and have had her socialized with many dogs there. Our instructor was had us do basic sit, down, stay, heel and mingling with the other puppies in our class. She sleeps in a crate at night next our other lab and sometimes with us in our room with the other pup. She gets fed 2X a day with the other pup and there are never any leftovers...LOL She stays at her bowl...he stays at his. She gets exercised daily.

Where in Ohio are you?
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

I read you do basic sit and down at puppy class but do you work on it regularly at home? When I feed my dogs and pups they all must sit and wait for food before they can eat, a good sit command can cure a lot of that. Don't let her move until you call her name sit means sit also she should know that heel means heel and if she is going crazy on the leash then you probably need to do more obedience work - not for sure but consistent commands followed through with reinforcement with a leash, heeling stick, and or E collar fixes many behavior issues.

good luck
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

My 6 month ylf has pretty much the same problem. I feel like our problem is that we train alone 99% of the time. On training days with other dogs she can't stand it. So I make her watch and she gets quite acquainted with the heel stick if she whines, jumps, pulls, etc. It's working for us.

I usually take the pups out with a prong collar and a chair we watch the other dogs retrieve, good time to enforce OB work. They are told to sit and they are told quite, first couple of times they put up a fight, but after watching a bit they usually settle down. When they settle down they get their run and then we're back to watching. While it's important for them to want to retrieve, it is also important for them to learn, that not all birds are their's and they have to wait (calmly and quietly).
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I usually take the pups out with a prong collar and a chair we watch the other dogs retrieve, good time to enforce OB work. They are told to sit and they are told quite, first couple of times they put up a fight, but after watching a bit they usually settle down. When they settle down they get their run and then we're back to watching. While it's important for them to want to retrieve, it is also important for them to learn, that not all birds are their's and they have to wait (calmly and quietly).
    X2 learning patience is a key part of training early on. I worked on this at a training time and just had my pup sit and watch. Notice I said sit. (no barking, no jumping around) It did wonders. Hunt'emUP is right on track.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I trained a pup like that and Hillman's ''Traffic Cop" did wonders.

Jeff Warren

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    Where in Ohio are you?
    Northeast Ohio near Akron