The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Factor of the Scent Trail on marks - do you train for it?

Default The Factor of the Scent Trail on marks - do you train for it?

You know how the Derby is often set up in the same spot where 52 dogs ran the day before in the Open? And the judges set up a 320 yd land mark and the bird is placed a few feet behind the trail where the birdboy walked back and forth 50 times the day before to set the blind for the open. Then your dog b-lines straight to the mark despite wind and factors and you get super happy cause your dog looks awesome on this long mark. Then the dog slams on the breaks at the scent trail and takes a sharp left to hunt the scent trail instead of continuing to the bird?

Is there a good way to train for this? It has happened to me twice. One was a second day Derby and the other was a Sunday Jr. held at same spot as the Saturday Senior.

Thanks,
    Jen

If I have the luxury of having a sack of dead birds i would drag them along a path that a dog must cross and drive the dog past that area, have even purposely left a bird crate covered but not with bird boy
    Tougher with a young dog to get him to keep going past the distraction

Or you could do it the old fashioned way and break out a jar of Vicks vapo rub or Vaseline and rub in on the dogs nose J/K
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Hi Jen!!!

I asked the same question awhile back here is the thread http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...rag-back-scent

maybe it will help
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Some very wise person(with lots of experience with exceptional dogs) once stated that in their opinion the difference between good markers and great markers came down to scent discrimination. Fresh drag back should smell different than day old, your dog just needs lots of exposure to the two. Bon's suggestions are good ones....well maybe except for the Vicks.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

You are running a Golden, right? Join the club.

Do things like Bon suggests. Dragback and poison birds will be challenges as well.

Golden nose regards,

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Were you by chance at Golden National? The SH was where the MH had been the day before. Lots of golden noses going nuts out there!
    I've been told to train with "duck soup". Haven't done it, but been told to

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    You are running a Golden, right? Join the club.

Do things like Bon suggests. Dragback and poison birds will be challenges as well.

Golden nose regards,

JS
    Yeah, there must be a bloodhound in the woodpile.

Would have loved to see the dragback test at the Golden National - that's hilarious Barb!

Erik, thanks for that thread link - I had missed that one - can't wait to read it.

Thanks Bon - I do have an 3 ripe ducks in the garage fridge. I'll use those.

Jennifer, I feel your pain. I'm having my own noobie trainer woes with the golden nose right now.

A couple of months ago, I introduced the first cold blinds to my dog and I thought she was doing fabulously. To make a long story short, I had some nagging suspicions that things weren't quite right. Turned out, she was actually not handling so much as ping-ponging around until she hit my scent trail to the bird (at which point, she appeared to handle perfectly!) What fooled me for a while was her amazing ability to pick up my path, even on a gravel road (I tested her, once I realized what was happening), at a run with her head held high, nose up. She sure didn't look like she was following a trail.

Oops.

Taking some giant steps backwards in training these days, regards and good luck.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Is there a good way to train for this?

Thanks,
    Jen
    many folk will train the monday after a clubs large test and run marks over and cross the marks and bird crate piles of the day before. Every year a nice group joins me in Bovien's Gully after our akc hunt.
    funny story, I run mostly NAHRA Field Tests but do enter my clubs akc now and again. NAHRA tests for the trail. We have a judge in our area who judges AKC, NAHRA, HRC, and field trials. Kinda been round the block. So he is judging an akc senior and I am running a fat red Chessie bitch who had ran many, many NAHRA tests. Come to the line for this AKC senior land blind and we were about the 800th dog to run that afternoon. And I put my hand down and kicked her off and didn't she fricken line that blind! With Style! And I handed off the duck and of course thanked the judges as I walked off line and the been round the block judge wispered as I walked away..... "Nice Trail!"
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

If you have some stinky old ducks, I'd use 1 to make duck soup. Soak it in a 5 gallon bucket of water at least overnight or longer. Then you can use the water for training, just splash a bunch of it in various areas. If the feathers fall off and are in the water, so much the better!

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com