The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "walk-off"

Default The "walk-off"

Any judges here ever have a handler come up, watch the marks go down and then leash up their pooch and walk-off without picking up a bird (out of protest)?
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

No, but I've thought about it.

Is this basically a way of saying, "This setup is so ridiculous I'm not even going to run it."?

If so, that's interesting. If I pay an entry fee, I'm at least going to give it a whirl.
    -Barton Ramsey

In my case it wasn't the test, it was the ridiculous things the judge told me before being able to run the test. Like confontationally telling me that I needed to take my knife out of my pocket and my keys off my belt, because the dog would see these items as tools for applying force. The insinuation was that I was trying to cheat.

You hit your dog with your keys? Go after it with a pocketknife? Sheesh.

Happens frequently & can be a decision of last resort to cure or control a creeping dog. I know a current successful FT handler who did this with one of his dogs for 3 trials in a row (both open & Am) several years ago. He told the judges prior to coming to the line his intentions (that if his dog crept he would not pick up the marks). He had been doing this with consistent success in training with no creeping only to have his trial-wise dog creep at trials. So he instituted the same practice at the 3 trials...and it worked. I think he had to do remedial work from time to time at a trial (maybe in the open) then run the Am. But it kept his dog guessing & kept the creeping under control. The dog retired an FC/AFC with several nat'ls run.

When judging the Jacksonville trial this spring we had another handler do the same thing.

Have never seen it as an effort to show-up the judges, but that could clearly be a misconduct issue if so. If the judges setup a valid test per the rules, IMO it would be very poor sportsmanship to not run the marks. If the test is not valid per the rules or considered dangerous, there is recourse under the rules for the handler.
    Last edited by Granddaddy; 05-17-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by stonybrook View Post
    Any judges here ever have a handler come up, watch the marks go down and then leash up their pooch and walk-off without picking up a bird (out of protest)?
    Yep. And it was a beautiful thing to watch.

I've done it a handful of times for a creeping issue but never to show up judges. That is in bad taste IMO. If I saw something I flat out didn't want my dog to run I would just leave rather than go to the line to make a scene.

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    I've done it a handful of times for a creeping issue but never to show up judges. That is in bad taste IMO. If I saw something I flat out didn't want my dog to run I would just leave rather than go to the line to make a scene.
    That's an expensive way to teach your dog not to creep...

Had it happen to me a few years ago. I was judging a master test, this was the second series. Handler came up with his more mature dog which also had several master passes and had made a trip or two to the Master Natioanl, I think it even had a plate or two. We had a water triple. Dog retrieved the go bird and the middle bird and was shipped to swim this channel to the long memory bird at the end of the channel. It was pretty much a straight old channel swim past a point where the short memory bird had been. The dog was swimming along and clearly making its way to the old fall it had just retrieved. My co-judge sat there astonished the handler was letting this happen. Rover just kept chugging away and up onto the point and out her nose down and began a hunt of the short memory bird. It wasn't just a quick wiff as it ran through this old fall which put her really far off line, but an honest to goodness dig it out hunt. Finally the handler put the whistle on and went to cast the dog away from the old fall. Several casts later and a few too many refusals the dog recovered the third fall. We judges immediatley offered our dismay that we would have to drop the dog as it clearly returned to an old fall and established a hunt, and even if we would have overlooked the return to the old fall, there were far too many cast refusals for us to accept in this series. Handler got pretty upset with us, made a few comments and stormed off. Later in teh same series the handler came back with their younger dog. As they approached the line he stated that if the dog even twitched he was going to pick it up. We called for the birds and I watched the dog sit as stoically and solidly as you would want a dog to sit. I called his number and he took out his leash and went to the honor.

Later that evening at supper a member of the gallery told us judges this particular handler had returned to the gallery after we had dropped his older dog and was storming mad about being dropped and told everyone how he was going to get us back by picking up his second dog so we would have to pick up the marks ourselves. Like we two judges were going to have to strip down and swim across the water to pick up birds or something. DUH. We had throwers and all the marks were on land, so no big deal. More of an unjustice and disrespect to your co-handlers in the stake for wasting their time with taking your dog to the line and picking them up just to prove a point...a point lost on us I guess.

I can totally see setting up a dog who has a creeping issue if that is the way you want to do it but let the judges and marshall know that in advance so the next dog is ready and so forth. That is kind of expensive training session.

Yea but it's cheaper than ruining a nice dog because of your lack of discipline.
    Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post