The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "walk-off"

Here are some tests (over many years) I wish I had thanked the judges and walked away from:

Started Mark toward a busy highway.

Senior Trail toward a busy highway.

Water mark with one Over-Under and a third mark with an entry into a deadfall with potentially dangerous sticks.

Into-the-wind triple where there was equal access downwind (following a screwed up land series.)

Upland tests quartering into "blockers." (X n)

Upland with flush at the end a long trail.

Marks into 6 ft. cattails.

"No-see-em" water blind that was technical enough w/o a trick.

The ones that come to mind were either potentially unsafe or unfair to the dog (at the level he was at.)

Misteaks happen, judges only make my "list" with repeats.
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 05-17-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Once they're on the list, clubs don't get the entry..

...... ..does ZERO good.............you could tell judges why if out of protest but that IS in poor taste and sportsmanship. Not saying that I have NEVER wanted to..... just don't see the point...better to let the dogs do the talking...
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    Here are some tests (over many years) I wish I had thanked the judges and walked away from:

Senior Trail toward a busy highway.i

Water mark with one Over-Under and a third mark with an entry into a deadfall with potentially dangerous sticks.

Into-the-wind triple where there was equal access downwind (following a screwed up land series.)

The ones that come to mind were either potentially unsafe or unfair to the dog (at the level he was at.)
    O
    Just guessing but you were probably the RD (commodore in charge so to speak) at at least a few of those unsafe and poorly designed tests. Odd that you wouldn't speak up for the benefit of your fellow handlers.
    Last edited by stonybrook; 05-17-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: you wear your petulance well old friend
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    That's an expensive way to teach your dog not to creep...
    Expensive on the frontside, but think of all the trials you get to stay in if it helps cure the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post

Senior Trail toward a busy highway.

I do not run hunt tests or trials so I have to ask what is the problem with marks into 6ft tall cattails? Seems like about the most common duck hunting situation.
    Last edited by mngundog; 05-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    I do not run hunt tests or trials so I have to ask what is the problem with marks into 6ft tall cattails? Seems like about the most common duck hunting situation.
    Once the dog reaches the area of the fall you can't see it to judge it.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    That's an expensive way to teach your dog not to creep...

with folk spending hundreds and hundreds teaching the dog how to be test wise.
    the few spending two or three $85 entry fees to nip it in the bud ain't nothing
    and it does make a lasting impresion on the wild dog that can smell when it is at a real test.
    I can think of one or two handlers that should do it, and soon!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Once the dog reaches the area of the fall you can't see it to judge it.
    Unless the cluster or area of cattails is the area of fall, in which you then know that if you can't see the dog, the only place they can be is in the area of fall.
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

Quote Originally Posted by stonybrook View Post
    Unless the cluster or area of cattails is the area of fall, in which you then know that if you can't see the dog, the only place they can be is in the area of fall.
    and dog comes back with no bird, did Rover eat it or did a snaping turtle drag it under? does the dog get a re-run or a DQ? how do you judge what you can not see?

I sold my sea monkeys and ordered my super X-ray spy glasses from the back of the comic book and still could not see through Molly MiniVans blouse!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

In the early years of AKC HT they would do just that. As a matter of fact, I have an old poloroid picture of my dog entering a huge patch of cattails down around Sarasota, FL. For reasons stated above, and the obvious hazards this practice might have in the Southeast, the practice didn't last long. In hunting down here, if a bird sails into the cattails, I will go look for it but won't send the dog.
    Tom Dorroh