The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The "walk-off"

Interesting. Up here it is pretty much the exact opposite. I don't want to think about how many birds my hunting partners and I would've lost over the years had we not had dogs that could get into the cattails and find downed game (not to mention all the roosters we'd have never seen and shot had the dogs not ventured into those same cattails).

Back to the original intention of this thread, I just think that for someone to come up to the line knowing they are only going to waste the club's resources and everyone's time by watching the birds fall and then walking off is very poor sportsmanship. I have no issue with someone deciding not to run a test, for various reasons, but to demonstrate that level of character, walking off, is pretty lowly in my opinion.
    Last edited by stonybrook; 05-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

Taking your dog off of the line is an option. I can't think of an option that is any less effective though. The judges have already made up their minds that this is a good set up.

Try this option: After somebody volunteers to run the test dog, simply tell the judges that you need to scratch #7 because you can't risk another ACL injury in that mud, or my dog is too old to run through those rocks, or the broken limbs in the tall grass. Tell the Marshall to note in the secretary's report as to why you scratched.

If you think it's a stupid test: 5 points, are 5 points! Somebody's going to get them.

J.O.
    Last edited by counciloak; 05-18-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Originally Posted by claimsadj
    I've done it a handful of times for a creeping issue but never to show up judges. That is in bad taste IMO. If I saw something I flat out didn't want my dog to run I would just leave rather than go to the line to make a scene.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    That's an expensive way to teach your dog not to creep...
    Not as expensive as having it happen every time you go to the line, if the dog is good in training and creeping at the show then you may need to consider some expensive lessons to let him know and get it under control.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

This is a great thread.

On the one hand I have worried about my dog's safety on some setups, on the other hand I think I am over cautious.

As a newb, I tend to defer to more experienced people like judges.

I have one of those dogs that always tries to leap from one bank to the next, scares me bad sometimes. If I see something like this in a test, I will be less reluctant to speak up, and walk away if my dog's safety is in doubt.
    Renee P

For a creeper, one getting sticky, club/group training days aren't "real" to a seasoned dog...only the "real" day will work. I've seen it done for one little whimper (dog had been being noisy and was headed to the Grand).
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Showing up the judges.
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

Quote Originally Posted by stonybrook View Post
    Back to the original intention of this thread, I just think that for someone to come up to the line knowing they are only going to waste the club's resources and everyone's time by watching the birds fall and then walking off is very poor sportsmanship. I have no issue with someone deciding not to run a test, for various reasons, but to demonstrate that level of character, walking off, is pretty lowly in my opinion.
    I have seen it done for a variety of reasons--even saw one time where several handlers did it. No big deal in my book. It doesn't really affect the club much--no more than a 'no bird' or a break--and a handler can scratch whenever they want. If it is a big deal for the club, perhaps they should look into the reasons a handler or handlers feel the need to do such a thing.

Not exactly the same thing, but my favorite instance was when a friend was retiring his dog. After years of making the dog steady, as soon as the flyer was shot, he didn't wait and sent his dog for it. The whole gallery applauded and even the judges thought it was fitting.

Walk off was do to the handler trainer walking off because judges called one of his clients dogs for a break a few dogs previous. You had to blow the duck call a couple of times to start the trial. Rookie handler did and quietly said sit. Dog ran a perfect water triple and had a near perfect trial all weekend. Trainer that walked off to prove a point to the judges was that he disagreed with their call.His point as also a judge is we as judges are here to judge the dog and should not have disquailified the dog on that minor infraction. Again up to that point the dog was flawless and so was the handler. Point is also made that we need to keep people interested in the sport.I am also a rookie at this game with a 16 month old lab that is being trained. I joined the club in Saulk Rapids and actively participated in their test this last winter. Had a lot of fun. Not sure what to think about the above. I also train with the walk off trainer and I gained a lot of respect for him that day. He handled himself very professionaly and showed the judges no disrespect. Interesting I also atteneded a judging seminar this past winter at my club that was conducted by AKC. The instructor we had I am pretty sure would have not called that a controled break and pulled the handler off to the side and corrected his mistake. He really drove home the point that as judges we are there to judge the dog.
    Last edited by william halfrich; 05-22-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling

welcome to rtf William.
    your saying this hole thread, and the walk off in question was to protest a handler being dropped for talking after he called for the birds?????
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

said sit. very quietly. Nervouse and made a mistake.