The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The "walk-off"

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I guess I just have seen enough folks scratch their dogs at the line that it doesn't bother me one way or another. In fact, I have done it when it had nothing to do with a protest of any sort. Just one of those things that happens. Everyone is outraged about how this takes resources away from the club when someone does this. I don't agree, but it certainly is a heck of a lot easier on the club than pulling the HT committee from whatever it is they are doing to hold a misconduct hearing. Who knows what would happen. I can't see that I would vote that this behavior--even if the handler admitted he did it--rose to the level of abusing or harassing the judges or officials. I see far worse behavior at the start of every Amateur I have ever marshaled
    I agree that trying to make some dramatic point by doing the "walk off" is more stupid than misconduct and as a judge I would care less. As for scratching your dog on line, that seems pretty weird. I guess maybe if you noticed your dog limping as you heeled him to the line, that could happen, but otherwise leave the dog on the truck and approach the marshal on the side to let him or her know you need to scratch and why.

John

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Ok, I'm off to attach duck caller to whistle lanyard....
    I'd like to see you try!!!!

most of us have a dog whistle on our duck call lanyard already
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Thank you John that is why I am going to concentrate on the Junior, get the dog and me through that so I have a chance. I do understand and LOT OF GOOD POINTS HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP. As I move forward with my dog I am sure I will experience a lot of situations that cause a lot of conversations. I understand that if a rookie football player steps out of bounds he is out of bounds. I also understand when you are testing Master dog the word Master means you and your dog are being tested at the highest stakes.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by william halfrich View Post
    Thank you John that is why I am going to concentrate on the Junior, get the dog and me through that so I have a chance. I do understand and LOT OF GOOD POINTS HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP. As I move forward with my dog I am sure I will experience a lot of situations that cause a lot of conversations. I understand that if a rookie football player steps out of bounds he is out of bounds. I also understand when you are testing Master dog the word Master means you and your dog are being tested at the highest stakes.
    Hopefully, the pro involved will gain respect for you in understanding the regulations and guidelines!
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

That's it exactly.

Good luck with your dog, I think the most fun I ever had was taking my first dog up through the ranks from Junior to Senior and finally Master. We both learned as we went and became a strong, tightly bonded team over time.

I am really excited and have a lot to learn. The dog is way ahead of me on the learning curve. Take care and I hope we cross paths someday at a hunt test.

If I thought a test was unsafe, I would file a protest with FTC, and await a ruling. If they did not change the test, I would scratch.
    If I thought a test was stupid, I might run it - and I might scratch. But, I wouldn't go to the line and scratch. To me, that is making a unnecessary display
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

That is a good attitude to have!

You have already surpassed a goodly number of veteran handlers in terms of maturity.

Good luck & have fun.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    That is a good attitude to have!

You have already surpassed a goodly number of veteran handlers in terms of maturity.

Good luck & have fun.

JS
    I was going to say the same thing. You can tell when somebody has their head screwed on right. I don't think we have to worry about Mr. Halfrich as far as being a future asset to our sport.

I remember one time it was Saturday I had ran the land marks in the open 6 dogs left from friday, the land blind, and the water blind, and they were taking 8 dogs to the last series and it was 92 degrees. I was to run the am and it was in the bowl at the canal I walked to the line and told the judges what I was doing and the reason I needed all the dog I could have for the last series in the open. Glad I did think we got 2nd that weekend. The judges understood the reason while I watched the marks said no bird to my dog and walked off line. When its hot do whatever you have to do to preserve your dog no shame in trying to do the right thing for your dog's health. I had a dog go over the hill this past weekend on the last mark of a quad he might have been just out of sight I counted to 10 and picked up after the dog had 3 almost perfect marks. It was hot and not worth taking a chance on my dog's health.
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com