The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The "walk-off"

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post

There are other venues besides AKC. I have run exactly one AKC HT but watched quite a few, and in them the gunners used the duck calls, not the handlers. So maybe it is not an AKC test, in which case the rules quoted may not apply.

OTOH in the other venues maybe they are allowed to talk to their dog, and the handler blows the duck call as described here. If this is the case, then the scenario is not cut and dried.

If it were a junior test, a judge might be a little more forgiving but if it is a MH test then a judge might be less forgiving.

Edit: My point is, if a newbie handler wants to use inexperience as an excuse, maybe he ought to start at the JH level and work his way up.

Renee,
    I have judged and run in many AKC Hunting Tests where the handler has used the duck call. Even happened once here in Maryland where the judges had the Junior test handlers blow a duck call. (I wasn't too fond of that as a handler, but it is clearly allowable)
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Some people are like Slinkies.. Not really good for anything..
    But they still bring a smile to your face when you think about pushing them down a flight of stairs.

Using duck calls to start the test is not that uncommon around here, and should not come as a surprise to anyone running at the Master level.

Getting back to the original situation in this thread, the handler was guilty of a serious handler fault, that per the AKC regulations was grounds for a DQ. The rulebook is very clear on this if you look at the Classification of Faults section at the back of the book:

Serious Handler Faults: Serious faults listed cover all those instances where the Standard describes conduct of the handler which in and of itself justifies elimination from the stake.
    1. Lining a dog in marking situations in the direction of any fall or any gun station before all the falls are down.
    2. Talking to the working dog the handler must remain silent from the time the handler signals for the first bird to be thrown until the judges release the dog.

In this case, the judges had no choice but to DQ the handler, regardless of the quality work the dog had been doing. The second handler needs to read the rule book -- there was no justification for his action.
    Sonia Liedman

Handled by:
    Rocky's Red Hot Shot "Chip" QAA
    Babyduck's Blueberry Power "Blue"

Trained by:
    Piva's Gem Rocky "Rocky" MH QAA - RIP
    Swede Grove's Rough Rider "Teddy" JH - RIP

Ok, I'm off to attach duck caller to whistle lanyard....
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I guess I just have seen enough folks scratch their dogs at the line that it doesn't bother me one way or another. In fact, I have done it when it had nothing to do with a protest of any sort. Just one of those things that happens. Everyone is outraged about how this takes resources away from the club when someone does this. I don't agree, but it certainly is a heck of a lot easier on the club than pulling the HT committee from whatever it is they are doing to hold a misconduct hearing. Who knows what would happen. I can't see that I would vote that this behavior--even if the handler admitted he did it--rose to the level of abusing or harassing the judges or officials. I see far worse behavior at the start of every Amateur I have ever marshaled
    I agree that trying to make some dramatic point by doing the "walk off" is more stupid than misconduct and as a judge I would care less. As for scratching your dog on line, that seems pretty weird. I guess maybe if you noticed your dog limping as you heeled him to the line, that could happen, but otherwise leave the dog on the truck and approach the marshal on the side to let him or her know you need to scratch and why.

John

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Ok, I'm off to attach duck caller to whistle lanyard....
    I'd like to see you try!!!!

most of us have a dog whistle on our duck call lanyard already
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Thank you John that is why I am going to concentrate on the Junior, get the dog and me through that so I have a chance. I do understand and LOT OF GOOD POINTS HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP. As I move forward with my dog I am sure I will experience a lot of situations that cause a lot of conversations. I understand that if a rookie football player steps out of bounds he is out of bounds. I also understand when you are testing Master dog the word Master means you and your dog are being tested at the highest stakes.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by william halfrich View Post
    Thank you John that is why I am going to concentrate on the Junior, get the dog and me through that so I have a chance. I do understand and LOT OF GOOD POINTS HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP. As I move forward with my dog I am sure I will experience a lot of situations that cause a lot of conversations. I understand that if a rookie football player steps out of bounds he is out of bounds. I also understand when you are testing Master dog the word Master means you and your dog are being tested at the highest stakes.
    Hopefully, the pro involved will gain respect for you in understanding the regulations and guidelines!
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Some people are like Slinkies.. Not really good for anything..
    But they still bring a smile to your face when you think about pushing them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by william halfrich View Post
    That's it exactly.

Good luck with your dog, I think the most fun I ever had was taking my first dog up through the ranks from Junior to Senior and finally Master. We both learned as we went and became a strong, tightly bonded team over time.

I am really excited and have a lot to learn. The dog is way ahead of me on the learning curve. Take care and I hope we cross paths someday at a hunt test.

If I thought a test was unsafe, I would file a protest with FTC, and await a ruling. If they did not change the test, I would scratch.
    If I thought a test was stupid, I might run it - and I might scratch. But, I wouldn't go to the line and scratch. To me, that is making a unnecessary display
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com