The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help with Panosteitis

Default Looking for help with Panosteitis

I've got a 6month old that has panosteitis. We've been giving him an anti-inflammatory/pain med from the vet. I can't remember the name of the medicine.

Anyhow, I was wandering if anyone here has had success treating this with any other "home-remedies". Any help would be appreciated. I know he'll grow out of it, I just want to manage it the best I can. Thanks!

My friends dog was diagnosed with panosteitis, turns out the vet was wrong she had a torn acl.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Only had a pup with Pano once. The breeder insisted he be fed large breed puppy chow and he got Pano. The x-rays for Pano are very distinctive - bones look like swiss cheese. Also, Pano moves from one leg to another to another (about a week in each limb). Our pup had it for about 3 mos. all together and he had it in some legs twice. It started in right front and went to rear leg, etc. There isn't much to do about it but be sure the dog kept quiet - no running, etc. Our vet initially had prescription for Rimadyl and after that we gave him 1/2 tab of Ascriptin with Maalox in AM and PM. He recovered nicely and went on to be very strong and active. Got an OFA Excellent at 2 years.

It's pano. It moves legs and has good days and bad ones with it. No fever. I was just trying to hear some things that worked for others outside of meds. I won't stop with the meds but sometimes other things help also.

KyleC
    If your feeding a high protein/fat food change your pup to a 24/14 or less food adult food through the fast growing period. It has been my experience that a food change to slow the growth of the long bones in the front legs can be the answer for many pups. Rest is important issue at this stage too for a while.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Mike B is entirely correct! I had forgotten that we did change the dog food from large breed puppy chow to an adult food when our dog was diagnosed with Pano! It will help!

Cut food down by 30% too, slow the rapid growth.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

For comfort mine always seem to like cool hose water sprayed on their legs. I guess they need to like the hose or hold them close. Mine would just stand there while I sprayed their legs, limp would always be better after. Sara

Some breeders swear by adding 500mg vitamin C once a day (human kind) and glucosamine/chondroitin/ MSM pill once a day. It helped a pup I had with it. That and crate rest and controlled exercise for 2 weeks.

Dried sea kelp. In addition to NSAID, limit the amount of running, no Jumping, some swimming ok, swithch to Fromm puppy food, oh and dried sea kelp.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!