Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Question

Default Puppy Question

Just wondering what everybody's thoughts are on bringing a pup
    home that is 44 days old?
    Thanks

44 days old is a bit young in my opinion. Have the pups been checked by a vet and had their shots? Also you should check with your state laws on legal age limit. Many states require pup to be 8 weeks or have a vets Ok before they can go to their new homes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muggs View Post
    Just wondering what everybody's thoughts are on bringing a pup
    home that is 44 days old?
    Thanks
    I've done it. One of my best dogs I ever had. Just lost him recently. No issues. He was raised by my cocker spaniel - the ultimate matriarch, and FC Honor was 5.5 months older. He was a love all of his life.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I've done it too. I didn't have any bad repercussions but I really do prefer to get them at 8 weeks old instead of a few days shy of 7 weeks. Especially if they will be an only dog. I think they have learned more and are much more mature at 8 weeks compared to 7.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

i dont think theyre ready yet. just a few days makes a huge diffeence in their readiness to face the world, so to speak. I sent one home about the same age, he was between 6 and 7 weeks. Cried non stop for three days they said. I 've never sent one home before 7 weeks again. Only way I would take home a pup that early is if it was in cruddy environment and needed out.Wait if you can-
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Puppies benefit a GREAT deal from their last week or two w/ their littermates. I used to let mine go at 7 weeks but keep all until at least 8 weeks now. More mature, and they learn a lot from each other about bite inhibition during this time - and generally chew on their new family less! I would never let one go at 44 days, nor would I get one at that age.

Thanks for all the feedback. I would like to wait until at least 7 weeks
    but travel constraints are factoring in and I'am not sure what to do

I like 9 or 10. WAY easier when they get home. Flip the breeder an extra fifty and pick up after travel issues if you can.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Hi i used to think that 8 weeks was the proper age to bring a pup home . but now all the new books will tell you 7 weeks is the best age because that is when they are bonding and you want them to bond with you not there litter mates or mom .

Quote Originally Posted by trapper1 View Post
    Hi i used to think that 8 weeks was the proper age to bring a pup home . but now all the new books will tell you 7 weeks is the best age because that is when they are bonding and you want them to bond with you not there litter mates or mom .
    Bold by me.

I dunno who wrote the books and how much experience they have with labs, BUT, I disagree with them. From 7 to 8 weeks they seem to learn more canine socialization skills, bite inhibition, and are more mature. I have never seen an 8 week old lab puppy who wouldn't bond with people. There probably is one somewhere but I haven't seen it.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013