#1 ·
Just wondering what everybody's thoughts are on bringing a pup
home that is 44 days old?
Thanks

#3 ·
Just wondering what everybody's thoughts are on bringing a pup
home that is 44 days old?
Thanks
I've done it. One of my best dogs I ever had. Just lost him recently. No issues. He was raised by my cocker spaniel - the ultimate matriarch, and FC Honor was 5.5 months older. He was a love all of his life.

#4 ·
I've done it too. I didn't have any bad repercussions but I really do prefer to get them at 8 weeks old instead of a few days shy of 7 weeks. Especially if they will be an only dog. I think they have learned more and are much more mature at 8 weeks compared to 7.

#5 ·
i dont think theyre ready yet. just a few days makes a huge diffeence in their readiness to face the world, so to speak. I sent one home about the same age, he was between 6 and 7 weeks. Cried non stop for three days they said. I 've never sent one home before 7 weeks again. Only way I would take home a pup that early is if it was in cruddy environment and needed out.Wait if you can-

#6 ·
Puppies benefit a GREAT deal from their last week or two w/ their littermates. I used to let mine go at 7 weeks but keep all until at least 8 weeks now. More mature, and they learn a lot from each other about bite inhibition during this time - and generally chew on their new family less! I would never let one go at 44 days, nor would I get one at that age.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I would like to wait until at least 7 weeks
but travel constraints are factoring in and I'am not sure what to do

#10 ·
Hi i used to think that 8 weeks was the proper age to bring a pup home . but now all the new books will tell you 7 weeks is the best age because that is when they are bonding and you want them to bond with you not there litter mates or mom .
Bold by me.

I dunno who wrote the books and how much experience they have with labs, BUT, I disagree with them. From 7 to 8 weeks they seem to learn more canine socialization skills, bite inhibition, and are more mature. I have never seen an 8 week old lab puppy who wouldn't bond with people. There probably is one somewhere but I haven't seen it.

#12 ·
Think about it this way too. The older they are (to a point), the more reliable the vet well check is going to be. Most ACVOs around here won't want to do a CERF until sometime between 7 and 8 wks at minimum for good reason also (maturity). What is the rush if the breeder is doing a good job? I have 5.5 wk olds right now and there is NO WAY I'd consider letting them go in 5 days... 8 wks for me.

#13 ·
There is quite a difference of opinion on this subject with some believing that 49 days is the magic day for them to go to their new home. The other group believes that at least 9 weeks is the proper time. I have raised a few litters and there have been times when 1 or 2 of the puppies in the litter became very dominant and I thought they got pretty rough with some of the other puppies. In those situations I was glad that they were going home in the 7 week range rather than continuing to have to experience the dominance from the other puppy.

#14 ·
First of all, depending on where the litter is or where you are, bringing a pup home at this age is illegal.

Second, and more importantly, at 44 days the pups are just entering the age of socialization. Prior to this it was all about "me". Now the pup is learning that there are others out there and they need to be recognized and reckoned with. It is during this period that pups learn bite inhibition, start learning toilet habits and tons more. Tons of canine behavior that you can't teach.

If this is the only time to get the puppy, I'd think long and hard about finding another puppy. Through a mix-up, I got one once a bit younger than this and the first 6 months were an absolute nightmare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.