The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog waterfowl Blind -Best?

Default Dog waterfowl Blind -Best?

All, I picked up a Mudhut last season but my dogs would not kennel in it, although they are kennel trained and sleep in kennels. Any training tips or suggestions on better/best blind to use for duck hunting. I hunt out of layout blinds 100% of the time...

I have the Rig'Em Right Field Bully and have been really happy with it. We have only hunted out of it a dozen times or so but I have had no issues with my girl kenneling right in. It is different than the Mutt Hut in that she goes in the back and then just lay's down. I put it right next to the laydown and works very slick. I guess the dog's size would be a factor my girl is about 62 lbs. I am suprised that your dog's would not kennel into as they are kennel trained, my only suggestion would be lot's of repetition at home and out training.

You're probably going to have to work with your dog with the blind. Its something different and even though the command is the same he's never used it with a blind. My old dog was trained for kennel but when I went to a dog blind she didn't understand. After a few days they will put together what you want.

Thanks ... The comments...as always more training, although I like the rear entry Idea I will check this blind also..

Put his food bowl in there a couple times ,he'll train himself.

The only problem I found with the rear door is that it makes a breezeway ,and on cold windy days /with a wet dog,it only makes them colder quicker .I zip tied the back doors of my GHG together and the front ones open.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I know there isn't much love for the pro's on here but here is a good video of getting dog's into a ground blind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYu1U...17923&index=30 I also placed my dog blind where my dog's kennel was and had him to kennel there. I started inside and moved to outside. Hope it helps.
    Rankin' Retrievers

Avery Finisher Blind. Takes seconds to set up, closed back to keep dog out of wind and hide any tail wagging. Also the blind has vegetation straps to add additional local vegetation to it. The blind packs into its own little bag which I have added longer tent stakes, rubber mallet with hook on end for pulling stakes, thermacell for the dog. Just mud up the blind when you first get it so it does not stand out.

Throw a dog biscuit in blind, tell him kennel a few times. Then let him retrieve a duck or pigeon from blind. Make it fun & he will teach himself like other poster said

Darin, Anyone who has problems with pro's cannot be much of a dog person....but that's just my opinion. Like the video thanks....good looking lab....also... I appreciate the help....

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    All, I picked up a Mudhut last season but my dogs would not kennel in it, although they are kennel trained and sleep in kennels. Any training tips or suggestions on better/best blind to use for duck hunting. I hunt out of layout blinds 100% of the time...
    I have had them all and the rigem has held up the best for me.Just wish they were a little longer. Jim
    Last edited by jd6400; 07-27-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff