The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Blinking on marks

Default Blinking on marks

17 mo BLM, used Hillmann puppy dvd & Lardy dvds. Am just starting pattern blinds. He has a lot of drive. I train alone. He marks well in training on both bumpers and dead mallards. The last two HT (junior) we went out in first series. He runs straight to the fall, blinks and then runs around like an idiot. It's as if it's too easy and he is thinking "Is this all I get?" "I'd rather run around and check things out before picking up and returning."

Good advice appreciated!

Steve

had this happen just this week to a 13 mth old hard charger. He would front foot the marks and look at them and just start hunting. He knew exactly what he was doing. I walked out and forced him to the mark and he picked it up. Did this twice and put him back on the truck. Brought him back out at the end of the session and he ran the marks and never blinked a one!

You said this happened at a test? Just wonder if your pup got one of those stinky, rotten, left over from the big stakes, junior birds. If you think this could be it, get hold of some dead birds and let them get really ugly, then force if necessary in training. Unfortunately, you can not make the correction at test. In case you haven't yet, be sure to get him some live birds to pick up. I had a really nice dog go out in his first junior because he got a running cripple. He marked it fine, just figured that was not his target as he had never been asked to pick up birds that were still going. Our fault.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    You said this happened at a test? Just wonder if your pup got one of those stinky, rotten, left over from the big stakes, junior birds. If you think this could be it, get hold of some dead birds and let them get really ugly, then force if necessary in training. Unfortunately, you can not make the correction at test. In case you haven't yet, be sure to get him some live birds to pick up. I had a really nice dog go out in his first junior because he got a running cripple. He marked it fine, just figured that was not his target as he had never been asked to pick up birds that were still going. Our fault.
    These two very important things have been the down fall of a lot of dogs over the years....Sad to say but both are the result of the handler not preparing the dog ....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

This is a simple force fetch issue. You should just have to go back to walking fetch and force to the pile with birds but go all the way back to the bucket/table if you need to. Also, consider freezing your training birds and use them over and over. This way the dog won't blink those Sunday birds at the test.

thanks for the advice

steve