The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plastic crate vs dog box

Default plastic crate vs dog box

Trying to figure out what to do this summer im wanting to get a dog box but being a broke college student cant afford to spend 3k on a box. But I dont want my dogs getting hot either.90% of my training is within 20 min of my house. I have 2 dogs and normally train alone so I half to setup wingers and stuff before I run them do you think plastic crates will be ok or should I come up with a couple thousand for a box thanks

Get a couple of the 12 volt fans with clips from the automotive section at Wally World. They are low amp drap and can be clipped on a plastic crate. If it is real hot and humid can add a frozen 2 litter bottle to crate. Always dry a wet pup!

A nice SS insulated box is best, but ya gotta get buy with what you can afford.

No worries with the plastic it's how most of us started.Put an all purpose pad and be done.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Patos View Post
    No worries with the plastic it's how most of us started.Put an all purpose pad and be done.
    Truth. The plastic crate comes in and out of the bed of your truck a lot easier, too.

That's what we started with. 2 crates in the PU. But, be careful as plastic/fiberglass absorbs heat regardless of the color. So be mindful of keeping pups shaded. Strap them down, keep plenty of cool water available and don't park in the sun.
    But if you're trying to convince a significant other that you need to upgrade to a cool dog box, repost and we'll give you a different answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    But if you're trying to convince a significant other that you need to upgrade to a cool dog box, repost and we'll give you a different answer.
    You have gotten some good advice. I like this one. I agree with keeping them out of the sun.

My wife knows how much these dogs mean to me so she actually kinda wants me to get a box as do I its just alot of money to spend right now and after echos injury today the money might be harder to spend on a box. I just dont want my dogs getting to hot on training days and trials on weekends. I always try to park in as much shade as possible but some of the ponds and fields I use have limited shade

a good no shade option is tie out stakes on the shady side of the truck.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Tie down stakes are perfect in the summer especially after training water marks just stake out and they air dry.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

No doubt about it that the inexpensive fans from Walmart are the way to go!!
    And thanks for the 2-litter idea.