RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

plastic crate vs dog box

5K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  TexGold 
#1 ·
Trying to figure out what to do this summer im wanting to get a dog box but being a broke college student cant afford to spend 3k on a box. But I dont want my dogs getting hot either.90% of my training is within 20 min of my house. I have 2 dogs and normally train alone so I half to setup wingers and stuff before I run them do you think plastic crates will be ok or should I come up with a couple thousand for a box thanks

#2 ·
Get a couple of the 12 volt fans with clips from the automotive section at Wally World. They are low amp drap and can be clipped on a plastic crate. If it is real hot and humid can add a frozen 2 litter bottle to crate. Always dry a wet pup!

A nice SS insulated box is best, but ya gotta get buy with what you can afford.

#5 ·
That's what we started with. 2 crates in the PU. But, be careful as plastic/fiberglass absorbs heat regardless of the color. So be mindful of keeping pups shaded. Strap them down, keep plenty of cool water available and don't park in the sun.
But if you're trying to convince a significant other that you need to upgrade to a cool dog box, repost and we'll give you a different answer.

#7 ·
My wife knows how much these dogs mean to me so she actually kinda wants me to get a box as do I its just alot of money to spend right now and after echos injury today the money might be harder to spend on a box. I just dont want my dogs getting to hot on training days and trials on weekends. I always try to park in as much shade as possible but some of the ponds and fields I use have limited shade

#21 ·
If you do this, spend a little money and get an couple orange blind poles and use them to block off the side of the truck the dog is staked out at, this way no one parks too close and/or doesn't see your dog...

#9 ·
Tie down stakes are perfect in the summer especially after training water marks just stake out and they air dry.

#15 ·
I agree with this. But also get one of those pop up canopy so you can make shade anywhere. If you have the electrical system for it a power inverter and a 3 speed box fan will push a lot more air than the litter ones you hang on the crate. Just be sure you watch you battery. I was able to keep 2 dogs cool in the back of a black pick up with a black cap on a sunny day with no shade. Had the dogs in wire crates and put on a platform I made to life them higher in the truck bed, and store stuff underneath. With the fan blowing on medium, I would come back to the truck to see them sleeping and breathing very slow and relaxed.

Eventually I got a white pickup, but fans and shade is priceless.

#18 ·
I have a 4 hole trailer with a four wheeler pad. Insulated boxes with fan. But, a gas mileage killer! If I don't need the 4 wheeler, I use plastic crates with the box fan- buy an extra deep cycle marine battery! Also have the pop up and stake outs. In the winter months I have insulated kennel covers. Mud River's are the best. So, the dog's are fine environmentally. Theft is another matter. I worry if we are in a restaurant or store long. If a motel won't allow dogs, I don't feel comfortable leaving them in the crate overnight.

But, you don't have to spend 2 or 3 grand on a box. There are nice diamond plate aluminum available used from $400 to new for $1500. Stainless is nice if one can afford it and is willing to spend that much, but the diamond plate is fine. Get it and when you get out of school splurge on the stainless. You won't loose much money on the old box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.